New Android User, Help with Go Launcher?

A

AC Question

New Android User, Help with Go Launcher

New Android Users, trying out Go Launcher (Prime) and looking for the best community to get some things answered. Some examples:

- Whats "Go Launcher EX" vs "Go Launcher Z" ?
- When I swipe down on app screen (desktop screen) it loads a feed for Finance, Life, Shopping, News, recent apps, top sites, etc. What is this? How can I configure/remove/change this?
- There seems to be several internet browsers installed on the phone and launch different times. I have Chrome set as default yet other non-chrome browsers are still used sometimes.
- The Google search "widget" is gone and the only option is "Go Search" ? This is garbage! When I try to click on it, it switches to the swipe down screen I mentioned above and I can't search directly from the main screen...

Probably many more questions but if anyone can answer these or point me to a good community/site to learn about this!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: New Android User, Help with Go Launcher

Welcome to the forums. I haven't used GO since my S2, so if what I suggest doesn't work, I apologize.

The search widget should be available. If you long press on an empty space you can bring up widget options. The Google search should be under G.

For the rest....is there a launcher settings app in the app drawer?

SE-Chris

Jul 12, 2016
Visit site

Hey, thanks for the response! What other Launcher(s) do people prefer? Go seemed to be a top pick on many sites.

As for long press empty space, it brings up a screen that lets you select wallpaper, theme, go settings, system settings, etc. If you click "edit" you're taken to a custom screen where you can add widgets, however there is no Google search option. The only search widget in the list is "Go Search" which, if you use, often has a 404 error, uses some odd browser, and uses bing if it even works...

There is a launcher settings app but nothing related to the swipe down screen as far as I can see.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Hey, thanks for the response! What other Launcher(s) do people prefer? Go seemed to be a top pick on many sites.

As for long press empty space, it brings up a screen that lets you select wallpaper, theme, go settings, system settings, etc. If you click "edit" you're taken to a custom screen where you can add widgets, however there is no Google search option. The only search widget in the list is "Go Search" which, if you use, often has a 404 error, uses some odd browser, and uses bing if it even works...

There is a launcher settings app but nothing related to the swipe down screen as far as I can see.
I really like Nova Launcher. Can do a lot of things to customize your device but doesn't offer so much that trying to change it is confusing.

Please don't take this as an attack on your choice, but I've always seen GO as it seems to have so many moving parts that it overcomplicates things. All the add ons, and extra stuff just breaks the KISS theory.

Nova is compatible with a lot of icon packs as well.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I am another vote for Nova. I have used GO and ADW. ADW seemed for a while to stop development and there were some rumors floating around about go and how they used your data. So I switched to Nova and find it extremely smooth and customizable without bogging down my device(s). Go always seemed a bit bloated.

SE-Chris

Jul 12, 2016
Visit site
Awesome, thanks for the input! I'll definitely check out Nova soon. I'm a bit annoyed that I paid for GO, however it was only $5 so no big loss...

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
Yeah, Nova is very kind to battery life. I have tried Go Launcher too, and I got overwhelmed really fast.

SE-Chris

Jul 12, 2016
Visit site
Any other tips or tricks? Or sites / lists / links with good tips and tricks? You can google "android tips and tricks" and find a lot of garbage or very outdated posts and articles.

I'm just getting setup with Nova and it's great so far.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Any other tips or tricks? Or sites / lists / links with good tips and tricks? You can google "android tips and tricks" and find a lot of garbage or very outdated posts and articles.

I'm just getting setup with Nova and it's great so far.
Anything specific you have in mind?

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I switched email accounts, from one that I set up as a goof when gmail was in beta to a more "professional one" and lost over 100.00 in apps lol. Participate in google rewards to earn money towards play store apps, music, etc.
Don't forget that the Play store has a 15 minute window for refunds if you don't like an app. Unfortunately, it's when you purchase the app, not when it's downloaded.

Also look at https://www.youtube.com/user/marquesbrownlee
and https://www.youtube.com/user/wicked4u2c for great tips, etc.