which tether has best speed

CarSalesman

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I have a Droid X (obviously Verizon). Rooted, works fine with Barnacle Wifi Tether to my laptop, but the download speeds are disappointing compared to my previous Blackberry using Tether via USB.

Does the wifi tether on the DX reduce the speed?

Would I get better speed by using Tether or Easytether via USB?

Are there Bluetooth tether options available, and would they be faster than wifi?

CarSalesman

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
UPDATE: I tried the free version of EasyTether. I can advise that USB Tether is definitely faster than wifi tether (at least compared to wifi tether using Barnacle).

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I use wifi tether for root users and it has the same speeds as my MiFi. Neither is faster then the other overall. At times, my DX is faster and sometimes my Mifi is faster. but neither is noticeable faster, just number wise, it's faster. But overall, same speeds.

CarSalesman

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
RH, both those methods use wifi. I was comparing to a physical tether which bypasses the wifi of both the station (droid or mifi) and client (laptop). The laptop I was using is a basic Atom powered netbook, so its possible the wifi drop in speed is due to that unit, not the android base station.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Ok gotcha.

Heres a little bit more info, using the MiFi and hooking it up to my computer via USB, it has about the same speeds as using the wifi on the MiFi and Androdi wifi. Neither is faster then the other overall.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995