Android 6 Media Volume Adjustment

Lamensterms

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

This is a bit of a tricky one to describe, and hard to google because I don't quite know how to phrase it.

My problem is, after exiting media (say... Youtube app or embedded video), when I try and turn the media volume down (with the rocker), I end up adjusting the notification volume.

My phone is always on silent during regular use (media included), but I turn up the media volume to watch youtube. I play games on silent.

On Android 5, there would be a grace period of a few seconds that when you exit a media app (youtube) you were given a few seconds that the volume rocker would still operate on the media volume. So you could exit the media app, then turn the volume down. This does not seem to be the case for Android 6. As you as the media app is closed, the volume rocker will operate on the notification volume. This is particularly annoying when watching embedded videos in the Web browser. As soon as the video ends, you cannot adjust the media volume without expanding the on-screen volume controller.

Is anyone able to confirm this? Is there a fix or option that gives a little leeway? Are there other threads discussing this? Is this just a HTC issue?

I've tried 'Rocker Locker', which will enable the volume rocker to always operate on the media volume (which is great). But it works by turning the phone speaker on all the time, drawing battery and showing the HTC Boomsound notification all the time (which is not great).

I'm using a HTC One M9, android 6.

Sorry for the long, meandering post.

Thanks a lot for any help.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I find this somewhat annoying as well. When there is no media actively playing, the volume buttons default to adjusting the ringtone/notification volume. The quick solution for me is to tap the vol button once so that the volume slider shows up, then tap the dropdown arrow on the right. This should bring down all 3 vol sliders (for ringtones, media, and alarms). Then adjust the media volume there.

There's probably some solution that's more elegant, but this is adequate for me.

Lamensterms

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the reply B. Diddy.

Did you notice the difference between android 5 & 6.

Thanks for the suggestion, that's what I've been doing.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'll have to check on my Zenfone 2, which is still on Lollipop. But it might not be an accurate comparison, because they're two different manufacturers with different firmwares.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thambu63