Gmail wont open attachments

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Someone please help. Just switched from Blackberry to Thunderbolt. I set up a G-Mail account and have an @verizon.net email account. I cant open email attachments in either account. The error message I receive is "Sorry this type of document is not supported for viewing". The attachments are Microsoft word documents. Thanks to all for your help

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
I have had this problem as well. I have not tried to open attachments recently but in the past I have and was not successful. You can open image files and sound files but I was never able to open more complex files.

One way that I have found to be able to access these files was to sign in to the Gmail site through the browser and open it from there. You can than download the attachment and access it. Give it a shot and see if it works for you. Good luck

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Hmmm, I'm not familiar with the Thunderbolt's bundled software, but I assume it comes with some kind of Microsoft Office viewer (like QuickOffice)? The GMail app requires that an appropriate viewer (or editor) app of some kind be installed.

If QuickOffice is indeed already on your phone, try opening QuickOffice first. Perhaps it needs to do some preliminary setup before it makes itself available to the GMail app for launching Office attachments.

Something else to consider: Are these Office 2007/2010 (.docx) formatted documents? Perhaps the viewer currently installed on the Thunderbolt can't read those. Try sending yourself a Word document formatted as Word 2003 (.doc) and see if that works.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995