Bought Unlocked Phone, Can make calls with AT&T but can't use data. Does anyone know what the issue might be?

A

AC Question

Bought Unlocked Phone, Can make calls with AT&T but cant use data

I bought a phone (brand new, unlocked) that was from T-Mobile I believe. I can make phone calls and receive phone calls but I cannot get texts or anything that uses Data. I sat on the phone with Customer Service for 2 hours and did a factory reset and set up their cellular network but no luck. Does anyone know what might be the issue?

Thanks in advance

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: Bought Unlocked Phone, Can make calls with AT&T but can't use data. Does anyone know what the is

Are you sure the phone you bought is compatible with AT&T's network in your region? Voice and data don't always use the same frequencies (although, in theory, if voice works, you should be able to use 2G data).

Have you tried with a different SIM card? Was the phone working with T-Mobile's data before? Data connectivity issues are usually either from an unregistered SIM/phone (AT&T might need to 'give access' to the data network on your number) or bad phone configuration (which, again, AT&T should provide automatically).

Joseph4654

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site
Re: Bought Unlocked Phone, Can make calls with AT&T but can't use data. Does anyone know what the is

I'm not sure it is compatible with ATT but i wouldn't know why it would not be. The phone was never used before to my knowledge, it just loaded with the T-Mobile emblem so i figured that was where it was from. I got a new sim from ATT and they matched the IEMI to it. ATT had no clue why i'm having issues

Joseph4654

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site

it does not have the hipri option on the APN type which is odd

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

Do you know which phone model you have? Maybe we can figure out if there's a frequency that you're missing for it to work. Other than trying with another SIM (T-Mobile if possible since it seems to be a T-Mo-branded phone) there's really not much you can troubleshoot (carrier configuration aside, of course).

Also, we need to find out if the phone is ORIGINALLY from T-Mobile. If it's an unlocked model or another carrier's version with T-Mobile's ROM in it then some key components might not work since the ROM wasn't designed for that phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hisoka_Ryuzaki