Findind A Phone With USB-OTG (hosting) Support

Mike Rivers

Aug 4, 2016
Visit site
It seems that it's nearly impossible to determine whether a phone provides OTG hosting without having the phone in hand. How does one choose one to purchase? I've been on the phone with Samsung's "tech" support several time and it seems that they don't have a clue (and they have more OTG phones than just about anyone else).

I'm doing research for an article on the dearth of USB audio applications for Android devices, and I figure the best way to have something interesting to write about is to get something working. I know that my cheap ZTE phone doesn't support it (I'm on the AT&T GoPhone plan) so I went looking for something to upgrade to. I was told twice by Samsung that their Express 3 and Express Prime phones supported OTG, so I bought one and it doesn't. It doesn't even supply power out the USB port. So I took it back.

It seems like, at least in the Samsung line, you need to get above about $350 to get something that clearlly supports OTG. I can't justify that for my own personal needs.

Nobody's spec sheet, even the Samsungs that offer OTG hosting, say anything about it. It's like it's a secret. What gives? I've found a couple of lists of OTG phones on the 'net, but most are pretty expensive, and I haven't found anything later than 2015, which means that some phones on the list are probably no longer available.

Is anyone keeping up with this? I can't keep buying phones, keeping them for long enough to plug in a digital mic or download and run the USB OTG Checker app (Google Play, in case you're wondering if YOUR phone supports it), and returning them. They'll kick me out of the store. ;)

Mike Rivers

Aug 4, 2016
Visit site
Well, I finally found a phone that supports OTG hosting and supports audio devices, at leat the two that I have handy, so I bought it. It's a BLU Vivo XL, $140. Interestingly, the nice lady at BLU that I spoke to told me that if I wanted the OTG host feature, I'd have to get a 2016 model (which the Vivo XL is) because they dropped it with most of their 2017 models that are within my budget, and said that many of the other manufacturers were doing the same.

So it looke like I have a new barn for a horse that's about dead.

Mike Rivers

Aug 4, 2016
Visit site
Well, I finally found a phone that supports OTG hosting and supports audio devices, at leat the two that I have handy, so I bought it. It's a BLU Vivo XL, $140. Interestingly, the nice lady at BLU that I spoke to told me that if I wanted the OTG host feature, I'd have to get a 2016 model (which the Vivo XL is) because they dropped it with most of their 2017 models that are within my budget, and said that many of the other manufacturers were doing the same.

So it looke like I have a new barn for a horse that's about dead.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000