How to Play Mp3 Podcast Stored Locally on Phone With Google Play

zepking

Aug 11, 2016
Visit site
Every podcast app I have come across, including Google Play Music's podcast player, assumes the podcast must come from the internet. None of them, that i have come across, let you add a podcast that you downloaded to the phone as an mp3 file. I download some mp3 podcasts that are not found in their "official lists of podcasts". How do i play them in Google Play Music's podcast player? Google Play Music can play them as a normal mp3 file, as a music file....but i want them to show up in the podcast section, so it will play them as a podcast. So I can have access to the "skip 10 secs" "skip 30 secs" features.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I wasn't able to find a definitive answer, but I'm guessing it's not possible. The podcast player in Play Music is pretty basic, and from what I could find on the web, it sounds like it will only play locally saved podcasts if they were downloaded from Google Play Music using the app itself (not from a 3rd party site).

zepking

Aug 11, 2016
Visit site
Thanks. I wasn't able to find a solution either. I contacted Google and Android but they didn't have a solution. It would be nice if they added that feature so you can play podcast that are not found on the podcast list of the Google Play music store. Podcast like Howard Stern and coast to coast and many others.

wxboss

May 8, 2011
Visit site
I know what you mean. When I heard that Play Music was getting podcasts, I was looking forward to it. Hopefully Google will continue to develop and evolve their podcast service to include downloads for offline play, until then, I have used Podcast Addict which includes access to the iTunes podcast library and the ability to download for offline play. I know this isn't what you were looking for, but it could be a workaround until (if) Google's music app gets the features you're looking for.

zepking

Aug 11, 2016
Visit site
Will podcast addict allow you to load a mp3 of a podcast u have stored locally?

If not, do you know of any podcast app that will?

zepking

Aug 11, 2016
Visit site
SOLUTION: Smart Audiobook Player works great!

Its surprising that android doesn't have a podcast app that easily allows you to play locally stored mp3's.
Its also a little surprising that people aren't interested in other podcasts besides the ones shown by podcast apps.
Noone listens to coast to coast? Or Howard Stern? Or Jim Rome? Or Phil Hendrie?

Georgy Riskov

Feb 1, 2018
Visit site
SOLUTION: Smart Audiobook Player works great!

Its surprising that android doesn't have a podcast app that easily allows you to play locally stored mp3's.
Its also a little surprising that people aren't interested in other podcasts besides the ones shown by podcast apps.
Noone listens to coast to coast? Or Howard Stern? Or Jim Rome? Or Phil Hendrie?

Thank you!!! Finally! This app does the job!

Although, I had a different issue...

Smart Audiobook Player seems to be the only app that allows to fast forward/rewind very long local audio files via bluetooth.

Music apps just don't get the basic ff/rewind functionality of podcast players;
and podcast players don't get the ability of playing local files.
I was already thinking of developing a basic app myself.

Said that, I somewhat share your sentiment about not-enough-popularity of podcasts in general and, consequently, the lack of really good podcast apps. As a regular podcast listener myself, it was a painful experience to migrate from iOS to Android. I'm currently using Pocket Casts, but no podcast app on Android is as polished as OverCast on iOS.

Om Hari

Mar 17, 2019
Visit site
Podcast Addict for Android allows you to load a folder stored locally on the phone as a "virtual podcast", and has had this feature since at least 2013 or 14, when I started using it.

Agreed that it's ridiculous that more podcast players don't allow this, or that programs like Google Play Music or iOS music don't just let you mark audio files as whatever type you want.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2fedes