Full Remote Wipe (SD Card) ...Exchange Active sync

dg417

Dec 8, 2009
Visit site
I started a new job and had to give up my Evo because the company does not support Android. They gave me a Blackberry which I hate. It is really tragic going from an Evo to a Blackberry. They also support Iphones, so I do have an option of getting myself an iphone which I am not very fond of.

The reason they support iphone and not Android is because when Exchange remote wipes an Iphone it wipes all data. When Exchange remote wipes an Android phone it does not wipe the SD card. Does anyone know if there are any Android phones that support full remote wipe with Exchange Active sync? I know I could use Enterprise solutions such as Good but I am wondering if there is something I am missing.

I am part of the IT department and was told that if I could find a solution to this then they will revisit the policy and consider supporting Android phones.

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Probably not. It's likely that they want compliance with the Exchange security policy -- not a separate solution.

The reason they support iphone and not Android is because when Exchange remote wipes an Iphone it wipes all data. When Exchange remote wipes an Android phone it does not wipe the SD card.
You might not want to point out that with Exchange clients like Touchdown the wipe only applies to Touchdown -- not the entire device.

dg417

Dec 8, 2009
Visit site
Probably not. It's likely that they want compliance with the Exchange security policy -- not a separate solution.

You might not want to point out that with Exchange clients like Touchdown the wipe only applies to Touchdown -- not the entire device.

That is the reason they won't approve Android. They want to be comfortable that an Exchange wipe will wipe all data which not only includes email data but any data such as spreadsheets and documents that may have been copied to the device. I work in the finance industry and it is highly regulated which is why they are so strict. Apple and WinMo both erase all data when wiped from Exchange. Blackberry wipes all data when wiped from the BES server. Android resets the device and wipes the data from internal storage but leaves all data on the SD card. I am hoping this gets addressed so Android could be more accepted into the corporate world.

Label facing right

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
Maybe you could get the nesus s when it comes out on Sprint since it does not have an SD card (Not sure if the 16gb of internal storage is formatted to look like an SD card though) but I would imagine that would solve the problem. I am in the same situation with my company, they support Exchange Sync for BB and iPhone but not Android because they are worried about the same issue (I work in retail design not finance though). I've gotten by just checking the OWA site but would really like to get Exchange Sync on my Android.

Last edited:

dg417

Dec 8, 2009
Visit site
I didn't know the Nexus S has internal storage only. That will be an interesting test. I will definitely try it when it comes out. If that works then I could probably get our information security department to approve it.

dg417

Dec 8, 2009
Visit site
Again Google will need to make some changes to get Android to compete in the Enterprise with RIM and Apple. I know of quite a few companies that approve BB's and iphones but won't approve Android devices yet.

That really does suck