Sony Z3, Android 6.1., ADM lockout
    Wrote lock screen password (before coffee) and my Swift keyboard jumbled the password (it seems). Now I am locked out of my own phone, first time ever. Followed instructions on Net and by going via PC to the Android Device Manager, I tried to set up a new LOCK. Now ADM says, password already on device in place, your new one (PC one) won't be needed.
    What can one do, besides factory reset? Thanks, all help appreciated!
    09-02-2016 01:21 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! How many failed attempts to unlock the screen before it told you that you're locked out? Are you saying that Swiftkey read out what you were typing in? It would seem inadvisable for a keyboard to speak a password that you're typing, in case there's anyone nearby.
    09-02-2016 11:41 PM
    Thank you for answering!
    Sorry, I wasn't clear, complex situation to describe. This problem is with Google's ADM, vs 6.1
    Reg Swiftkey (my default keyboard for many happy years) It seemed when typing the password one time on the handset (why on Earth ADM didn't ask to re-type it??) Swiftkey used the '6' above the 'y' - I realized this only when I was locked out already trying to break my own lockout. It seems I am allowed to retry a password (with a 30 sec break) as many times as I like. Now Swiftkey keyboard behaves normally and I can't retrace my password initially jumbled by Swiftkey's onetime bug, meaning I'm locked out for good. Marshmallow is the culprit since it doesn't allow the ADM on a PC to remote override the lockout password on the handset anymore. The only solution that I could see to avoid a hardreset and the time lost with this method is calling a Google rep for ADM to remote override my password - no such luck to find such contact number. Any further suggestions or a friend at Google consumer service? Thank you again!
    09-03-2016 01:21 AM
    Oh, so you're saying that when you created the password, that's when Swiftkey jumbled things up? That's a tough one. I'm not sure if there's any good way to retrieve the password. Unfortunately, ADM only allows you to set a lock if you don't already have one set: https://support.google.com/accounts/.../6160500?hl=en. I presume their intention was for this to be used by people who typically leave their phone unsecured (or may have temporarily turned off their screenlock), so that they can protect their data remotely if someone steals the phone--and not for people to remotely change or reset their screenlock password. Sorry, but I'm not sure if there are any other good options.
    09-03-2016 01:52 AM
    You nailed it - that's indeed the problem!
    But why didn't the software ask to repeat the password once I typed it in on the handset? I can imagine scores of users being currently asked by Google to review their privacy & security settings (exactly as I was prompted) and ending up doing my mistake with no way to remedy the situation....
    Is there really no way to ask a consumer rep at Google to look into this? Or are they really too big to bother?
    Thanks again for looking into this, much appreciated!
    09-03-2016 08:46 AM
    I'm not sure if there's a reliable customer service phone number for Google any more. You might want to try with Sony first: (800) 222-7669
    09-03-2016 01:54 PM
    Went to see my carrier service center, their answer was even more discouraging in that not even a hard-reset will solve the (self imposed) ADM lockout. Went over to xda developers and downloaded a flash stock rom, (6.0.1) and installed it with Flashtool. Good thing was that you don't need root access for this! All you need is some time and well installed PC driver package. I had to wipe User Data but not Apps Log. Most data was back within minutes, still some tinkering required. What a pain.
    One good side-effect: Sony Z3 now runs without the lag that it had since the OTA Marshmallow installation
    Thank you for your help!
    B. Diddy likes this.
    09-07-2016 03:13 AM