Sometime soon I might consider to buy an Android phone but I really love the new change in grahpics but it seems so hard to do the OS update on Android phones compared to iPhone. Does Android phones nowdays have it like iPhone, just some clicks and you get the new update or you have to connect the phone to the computer and download some other stuff?
    10-05-2016 03:54 PM
    Just a click - you get asked if you want to accept the update - say yes and, after anywhere from a couple of minutes to a while, depending on how much is on the phone and how fast your connection is, you're done.

You CAN download a file and put a different version of the operating system on most phones - that depends on whether the bootloader is unlocked and whether anyone wrote one - but you don't have to. (The main difference is that the ROM has to be rewritten for each phone, the hardware isn't all the same, as it is on iPhones, so manufacturers stop updating phones after a couple of years. But I'm still on a 3 year old ROM and it still works fine. It's not that I don't use the phone, it's that I don't use the few additions a newer ROM would give me.)
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-05-2016 04:07 PM
    It can be pretty much automatic. With Nougat coming out, there's a new way of updating possible called seamless updates. If you don't mind waiting a little longer to buy, getting a phone with this enabled means it does the downloads and updating in the background on a separate partition. Once done, the phone swaps to the updated partition the next time you boot up, making the update seem to be nothing but a reboot. If the update fails, it can fall back to the non-updated partition so you don't lose anything.

The down side is this is something that has to be set up from the factory. It's not currently possible to update existing phones to this if/when they get Nougat (and doubtful will ever be officially possible). It's also optional, meaning the manufacturers can opt out of this, keeping with the old style of updating.

The Google branded phones are almost certain to have this feature and I think I read the LG V20 will too (if it ever gets released... DX ).
    10-05-2016 05:41 PM