Spontaneous restarts

tenenboim

Oct 21, 2016
Visit site
I'm starting to get desparate: my tablet (Android 5.1) restarts spontaneously now and then.

It usually happens while playing graphics-intensive games. After a factory reset, followed by careful, stepwise installation of apps, I seemed to have located the culprit: Google Play Services. The restarts appeared only after updating Services to the latest version, after a certain game demanded it.

I then uninstalled the updates, which seemed to abolish the restarts for a few days. I then installed several other games, and now the restarts are back.

I erased the Services cache and wiped the cache partition; to no avail.

Having a non-updated version of Services is annoying in its own right, since many games say "Game won't run unless Google Play Services is updated". Whereupon all I need to do is tap somewhere on the screen, and the message is gone.

What's the meaning of this? Is an updated Services required or not? How will I solve my restart problem? Can I run some debug program that will magically log what goes wrong one second before the tablet crashes? I'm still not 100% sure that it's Services.

Is it possible at all that it's a hardware problem?

tenenboim

Oct 21, 2016
Visit site
Haven't tried, but I'm confused: how will I test this in safe mode if all the games I installed are disabled? When idle the system doesn't restart (or perhaps it does, but I've never sat in front of the idle tablet, stared at it and waited for it to restart).

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Random restarts are not basic in any sense of the word... or troubleshooting would be easy, wouldn't it? Could be software, hardware, or simply your battery. I've experienced this with a bad battery in my Note 4. One battery causes a random restart, while 3 others don't... and it's repeatable.

tenenboim

Oct 21, 2016
Visit site
Okay, I more or less determined that it doesn't happen in Safe Mode. Ergo: software problem.

Is there a logging app whose output I'll be able to read after a spontaneous restart? Will something like that help me find the problem?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maximusdebois