How to Change Lockscreen Wallpaper Without Going Into Settings

eric0668

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I normally change my wallpapers frequently.

Usually go thru an app like BackgroundsHD. It lets you set scrolling, non etc
And then I goto the wallpaper for the lock and hit set lockscreen wallpaper and that too is in the list of what wallpaper to set (i.e. Lockscreen)

Not sure if it was the app that allowed it, I don't believe so because there are several

I CAN set a wallpaper now with Pixel either thru the settigns, I can hit wallpaper or lockscreen or both. But if I set the wallpaper of one of my images with the BackgroundHD app or many others, I go back in and lockscreen is NOT an option. I would have to go up top in settings and scroll thru tons of wallpapers to find it and do it

Any help?? this could be so easy I am missing something
Also, I am very verbose and not good at explaining so forgive me
Then again you may understand me and it is just taken out of Nougat

Thank you immensely

eric0668

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Rukbat, thank you. I didn't see it. In fact it made me realize how much I don't know. The tiles were small, and a bit confusing

Seems to me I will have to stick with "Gallery" or my preferred app "QuikPic" which has "fixdate" I am perplexed by Wallpaper Wizardrii and even Google Photos. Yes, Google Photos. The first 2 are simple.

If you have any advice here or via PM or can direct me somewhere I'd be grateful.

Eric

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
From what I have read, there is no standard API for changing the lockscreen wallpaper.
That would explain why many wallpaper apps don't do it, and why the OEM apps get the recommendation.

eric0668

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Joe I don't understand. Is it possible for you to explain here or private message me and explain it to me my problem is that I don't always explain things clearly so I don't know if people understand me

But you think you understand me. I was going to go home tonight and compare it to my HTC send or I can do that and see if it is an app that I didn't put on this phone or if it is just that phone

If I understand you correctly it is just this new phone with Android 7 on it correct
I don't know what an API is I Know What an apk is

Thank you much

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
API = Application Programming Interface
It is a set of functions that a programmer can call to get things done. These functions are provided by the hardware makers or by other programmers who make libraries.

In the case of the lock screen wallpaper, there seems to be no standard function to do this. Each phone or phone maker creates their own function to do it. Since each phone comes with a built-in app that can change the wall papers (usually written by the same programmers), that built-in app can change the lock screen wallpaper. Any other app wanting to do the same thing would need to know which function to call on each different phone.

eric0668

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I think I have it Manic Joe. Basically a phone has to have it programmed in itself to change lockscreen wallpapers. It is NOT some 3rd party app, by itself that does it. However, the apps can have the code that the phone maker, programmer, etc uses to change the lock screen wallpaper, and this would enble to build it into their app.

So the Pixel does not have it, but into time with the proper coding to these apps, they may be able to do it.

(For being a total rookie, do I have the smallest amount remotely correct? Thanks Joe)

Eric

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scout13fox