I have a page that came up in google browser that claims I have won an iphone7 and to fill out a survey to claim my prize. Obvious scam. I can make it go away by clearing cache but it comes back after a short time. Cannot get rid of it. I did not download anything. From what I can find out about this hack is that even a factory reset will not get rid of it. Do I understand correctly that it has managed to write itself to the phone's ROM? I don't use the internet on my phone but for about 3 or 4 things. Don't know how I should proceed when even a factory reset won't get rid of it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    11-06-2016 01:43 PM
    If an anti-virus program doesn't get rid of it, reflash the ROM (you'll lose everything you've ever installed). That should get rid of anything that's happened to the phone since you got it. (Sorry, but you can't keep "selected data" - you don't know where the virus is hiding.) (It's probably not in the ROM, but it's probably installed as a system app.)
    11-06-2016 02:33 PM
    I do not have an antivirus on my phone. But I have read after googling this menace that anti virus programs do not find it nor eliminate it. I have never downloaded any apps from anywhere. I only allow system updates and updates from google preinstalled stuff like google play etc that I do not even use. I do not have anything sensitive on my phone.
    I do not know what you mean by reflash the ROM. Can you direct to where I would find how to do that? The only thing I want to make sure I backup is my contact address book and photos.
    Thanks,
    ron
    11-06-2016 03:32 PM
    I suspect that you saw an ad trying to get you to click. To be safe, perform a factory reset and format/wipe the SD card. Be sure to backup all your data first since you'll be starting from scratch. Let us know how that goes.
    11-06-2016 04:17 PM
    So did you actually complete that survey or just back out of it. Sounds a lot like adware, try an adblocker before you get too drastic. If you did go into the survey thing, there's no telling what you ended up with....
    11-07-2016 03:13 AM
    Note this site, casually asking for my account details and password in return for a 'free iPhone'. I've blocked it, and several other such sites, on my Sky Broadband Shield, after which they give no further trouble.
    Tim1954 likes this.
    11-07-2016 06:35 AM
    No, I did not fill out the survey. I could not back out of it. It went into a loop with 3 different pages. To be clear, I did not click on anything for this to come up. I had hit the back button to return to my stock holdings page after reading an article about one of the companies I am invested in. I am reluctant to do a factory reset as I had found another person who had done that and it reappeared after a short time. The discussion I found about it dead ended and was not resolved. (not this site) I am probably just going to get another phone because I don't want to go through 2 1/2 years of updates.
    Thanks to all for your time.
    Ron
    11-07-2016 07:54 PM
    Does it happen randomly, or only when viewing a specific site? These are usually generated on the server side and not actually anything to do with your phone itself. They are most prevalent when viewing sites of questionable content as well. If it's only happening when visiting a specific site or two, then that's where my guess lies.
    11-09-2016 09:19 AM