All contacts from Outlook imported twice? Delete one, both disappear

sprtfan

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I just got a Pixel and while setting up I ended up getting doubles of all of my contacts that came from Outlook. If I delete one of the contacts, both disappear. Some how I got it set up to pull the contacts in twice. Any ideas on how to fix it?
I was trying to get my Outlook calendar to show up on the default calendar app. I'm guessing something I did while doing this created the problem. Here is what I did

I had tried to share my outlook.com calendar with my google calendar online. I also tried to set up Outlook in the Gmail app as an exchange account. I also "Gmailify" my outlook.com. Thanks

Shamshi-Adad

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
I just got a Pixel and while setting up I ended up getting doubles of all of my contacts that came from Outlook. If I delete one of the contacts, both disappear. Some how I got it set up to pull the contacts in twice. Any ideas on how to fix it?
I was trying to get my Outlook calendar to show up on the default calendar app. I'm guessing something I did while doing this created the problem. Here is what I did

I had tried to share my outlook.com calendar with my google calendar online. I also tried to set up Outlook in the Gmail app as an exchange account. I also "Gmailify" my outlook.com. Thanks

Start from scratch.

The way "I" did it for my S7e was: (and you can do all this on your laptop/pc)
1. Go to your MS OneDrive website.
2. Select your Outlook.com
3. Select CONTACTS. AT first, for just a second it'll be empty and then it will EXPLODE with all your contacts if you've never used your MS Outlook.com account.
4. Now go to your GMAIL website
5. Select Contacts/More/Import/Outlook.Com
6. You'll be prompted to enter your MS Credentials
7. Hit enter, have a sip of coffee - BAM there's your contacts all in gmail
8. Now check your Pixel - BAM!

Peace. Alan
Even when I lose, I win.
Galaxy S7Edge [MM6.0.1] Daily Driver
Lumia ICON [Win10M 14965.1001] Hobby

sprtfan

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I have two questions, since you said start from scratch, do I need to delete/remove anything from the phone first since I already have contacts there? If I do it this way and add a contact from my phone in the future, will it sync with my Outlook contacts?
Thanks

Shamshi-Adad

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
I have two questions, since you said start from scratch, do I need to delete/remove anything from the phone first since I already have contacts there? If I do it this way and add a contact from my phone in the future, will it sync with my Outlook contacts?
Thanks
Just remove all your double Outlook contacts.
Don't know about "share" MS Calendar?
Go to Your gmail site and select Calendar and Import Outlook.com calendar from there.

Peace. Alan
Even when I lose, I win.
Galaxy S7Edge [MM6.0.1] Daily Driver
Lumia ICON [Win10M 14965.1001] Hobby

sprtfan

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Since I just got my phone, I ended up resetting it and starting from scratch. The problem turned out to be that I had several contacts in Outlook linked. When they were imported to the phone, they were no longer linked and was why most were showing up as doubles. Thanks for the help

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Since I just got my phone, I ended up resetting it and starting from scratch. The problem turned out to be that I had several contacts in Outlook linked. When they were imported to the phone, they were no longer linked and was why most were showing up as doubles. Thanks for the help

Hey sprtfan, I'm moving from an Icon to an S7 this weekend. I have lots of contacts that are linked. They are Outlook contacts that I added manually and social media contacts (FB, Twitter, etc) that have linked together. If I follow Alan's directions in post #2, am I going to be good to go?

Have you found a way to move your Outlook calendar entries over to the Google calendar?

sprtfan

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Hey sprtfan, I'm moving from an Icon to an S7 this weekend. I have lots of contacts that are linked. They are Outlook contacts that I added manually and social media contacts (FB, Twitter, etc) that have linked together. If I follow Alan's directions in post #2, am I going to be good to go?

Have you found a way to move your Outlook calendar entries over to the Google calendar?

What I ended up doing was go to Gmail, Settings, add account. I have the New Outlook.com so I was able to set it up using Exchange. If I remember right, it asked during set up if I wanted to add Mail, Calendar, Contacts. I selected Calendar and Contacts. After I was finished, I had to give it a little bit of time but I was able to go into the Calendar app and add my Calendars from Outook. My contacts also showed up after a little bit.
I also ended up installing the Outlook app. During setup I also gave it access to my contacts. When I open the Contacts app, I can now select from Gmail, Exchange, and Outlook. I'm not sure why, but the Exchange account included all of my Facebook, Twitter, etc contacts while the Outlook one does not. This actually worked out well for me since I didn't want most of my Facebook contacts on my phone anyway. It did unlink all of my linked contacts. At this point I went and cleaned up some of my contacts by going to Outlook.com=>People and I also ended up just relinking some of them by selecting Duplicates from inside the contacts app.
What Alan did worked for me for contacts, but since I needed to get the Calendar too, I was better off using Exchange. There probably is better or more straight forward ways go doing this but this is what I did and ended up working for me.

pbike908

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
It has been my experience that one is asking for trouble if one connects their outlook.com account in more than one app. Use the Gmail app, the official Outlook app, stock email client, or perhaps another app like Nine. Don't connect the same account in more than one app. Also make sure you connect via Active Sync versus Imap. Some apps will default to an Imap connection which will provide a different user experience that connecting via Active Sync.

Bottom line, is that I don't think Google is really that interested in making it super simple for folks that use Microsoft accounts. If so, then they would make it so core Android would connect once and then all apps would share the account. That's how IOS works.

I haven't had the best experience with the official Outlook app. Nor have many other users. Especially with contact sync.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcl678