My wife has an unlocked AT&T Samsung S5 on Tracfone.

Lately she cannot send or share photos in text messages...nor, apparently, receive photos. She doesn't use the phone that much but it was working satisfactorily up until about two weeks ago.

When she attaches a photo to a text message she may or may not get a message saying that the file is being compressed. And she may or may not get a message saying that the photo is being converted to MMS or SMS. And a thumbnail of the photo does appear in the text message.

When she sends it, however, it never completes.

A text message sent to her that contains a photo prompts her to download the photo--it doesn't appear embedded in the message.

We have wifi and she is using wifi when this occurs.But I have tried turning wifi off (which AFAIK turns data on) and it still doesn't send. The photos she has been sendingsucessfully prior to this problem were sent through wifi. My phone (unlocked Verizon Samsung S6 on TotalWireless) sends a photo fine over wifi (in the same house).

We are relative newbies to the smartphone world and retired. These are the first real smartphones we've had.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to solve this problem?
    11-26-2016 11:12 PM
    I believe that with the US carriers, the ability to send MMS over wifi varies from one carrier to another. It may be worth checking with your carrier that there have been no recent changes to the APN settings, the update for which you may not have received for some reason.
    11-27-2016 07:42 AM
    I believe that with the US carriers, the ability to send MMS over wifi varies from one carrier to another. It may be worth checking with your carrier that there have been no recent changes to the APN settings, the update for which you may not have received for some reason.
    Thank you, I'll do that.

But my next question is: Why would that make a difference when sending photos through 4G data?
    11-27-2016 08:34 AM
    You said in your first post that as far as you knew, mobile data is switched on when wifi is switched off, and I wasn't quite sure what you meant by that. Did you mean that MMS would then default to mobile data? It would, but mobile data of some sort would have to be switched on in the first place. Even if it were off, you should still have a 2G signal which would be good for texts and calls, but I'm not sure that MMS would work on that since I've never tried it. So can you confirm that mobile data - in your case a 4G signal - is actually switched on?
    11-28-2016 08:30 AM
    Well as I said, I'm fairly new to smartphones but from what I understand, with the phone she has (S5) and the one I have (S6) if you travel outside the range of your wifi nexus, the phone will automatically switch to mobile data. That's what the settings screens imply and that appears to be how it works.

I suspect mobile data is the default mode...all these phones are designed and manufactured to work with a carrier that provides mobile data. But you have to turn on wifi to work through wifi.

Having said all that, we got the problem solved. We had the same problem when we first got the phone (through Swappa) and I had kind of forgotten about it. We had to change (or reestablish) the APN.

Turns out my wife had had some problems with her Tracfone account and the "tech guy" (database jockey) she spoke to, changed it.

I found an old thread, from when we had just got the phone, over on another forum and it contained a link to a Tracfone site where you can plug in your IMEI and get the correct APN settings.

Tracfone is a good deal, esp.for retired folks on a limited budget, but their service reps may be the worst in the business.
    belodion likes this.
    11-28-2016 10:57 AM
    I'm glad you solved the problem.
    11-29-2016 06:41 AM