Unsure of what to do

MikeyBugs95

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
I just got in a "lightly used" LG V20 that I bought off Amazon. When I first got it and was looking it over it looked really good. No, not really good... It looked great. Not a scratch or nick that I could see. It was pretty much a brand new phone. Unfortunately, looking it over now while I clean the screen of fingerprints, I notice lines on the glass. I felt the first and didn't feel anything. I felt another and I felt my fingernail get caught a bit. The screen is covered in extremely fine cracks. Completely invisible when the screen is on and barely visible when it's off. They can only be seen under direct light. I don't think I caused them because I was babying the phone ever since I opened the box 15 hours ago. I don't think I put the phone down hard enough to cause cracks and if I had the phone laying screen down, the bumper case I received with it was on at all times. The phone was never bent or dropped while in my possession. The person I bought it from said the phone was dropped once on a carpet but had no discernible damage or nicks to it. Other than the newly discovered micro-cracks, there is no damage.

Now I'm conflicted over what I should do. I know I have a few options. I could: a) contact the seller and request a refund and ship the phone back to him, b) keep the phone and put a case or at least a tempered glass screen protector on it, or c) contact Amazon and file a complaint. I don't like A or C (heh, AC) at all because I really like the phone and I've already spent nearly 9-10 hours setting it up. I will be getting a Poetic Revolution case in the mail so B is covered. I'm not sure what to do.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Patience is a virtue.

When I was out looking for my spare Note 4 (to be used on TMO), I actually ended up purchasing four separate Note 4's. The first one on Swappa had screen burn in. The phone was supposed to be brand new. The second one was paid for but was never shipped for over a week... a few days later the guy cancelled the sale and refunded my money. The third one had a cracked screen... it too was supposed to be brand new. Before I purchased the forth one (the one I actually kept), I paid for and waited all those weeks dealing with the other three, and then hassled with the returns and subsequent paypal refunds. The forth phone was supposed to come to me with Kitkat, but when I got it, it had MM installed on it. I was so tired of dealing with purchasing and returning, that I ended up keeping it and reverting it to LP. I had been patient long enough, and LP, while not my OS of choice, isn't all that bad. The phone is absolutely pristine as it was only used for developing apps for 1 week (according to the listing). That's part of the reason I settled on it. The charger and cable weren't even opened! I felt I got a good deal and I'm happy with it.

For you, I would definitely choose "a". Return the phone, and if the seller gives you grief, then go with "c". Sooner or later, you'll find another V20 that you'll be "happy" to keep. I certainly wouldn't deal with a shattered screen right off the bat. Good luck... I hope the seller does what's right for you!

MikeyBugs95

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
It's not *that* shattered. The cracks are there but only visible under very direct light. Most of them can't even be felt. They're pretty much micro cracks. Everything still works fine.

onlyforaquestion

Dec 23, 2016
Visit site
Second hand stuff will never be perfect, there's always something, keep it in mind. This "something" happened to be only unaesthetic and almost unnoticeable, lucky you.

Have fun.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
The problem with micro cracks is that they can turn into something other than micro. More than likely they will if any amount of direct pressure is applied to the glass. It's up to you though. If you're set on keeping it, put on the tempered glass protector like you mentioned, and do it soon.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nilsgutkowski