I'm trying to optimize WiFi battery usage as I noticed it's constantly using it, so I'd prefer my WiFi turn on when I get home but off when I leave as I don't want it automatically used anywhere else; ideally it would be nice to have it only turn on when it notices a router it's already used the internet on (which means I trust it) and shut off when I'm out of range, but I'm not sure how to do this in a battery-optimized way.

What's the best app for this? Do I need something that checks location, and will it constantly ping location (draining the battery excessively) or can it just listen for when Android updates its location?

Here's an example of how I know the WiFi is always using the battery even when not connected (I've already optimized in settings):

http://i.imgur.com/2C022NN.png
    12-26-2016 01:43 PM
    The best app (but not the easiest to use unless you have little programming experience) would be Tasker, in association with Smart WiFi Toggler.

But something has to be running, either Smart Wifi Toggler to keep polling wifi, or GPS to keep polling your current location. Your router isn't going to "find" your phone and send it a signal.
    12-26-2016 03:49 PM
    If you don't want to use tasker, you could always use NFC tags.
    12-26-2016 08:29 PM