Comparison Chart: Xoom, Transformer, Galaxy, TouchPad

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
KEY SPECIFICATIONS
attachment.php

NOTES
Apps: Specific apps/compatible apps - For instance, the "0k/6k" for theTouchPad shows no apps specificaly for the tablet yet but 6,000 apps will be compatible. The iPad lacks Adobe Flash.

HDMI: Allows HD output to a TV or projector for home theater or business presentations.

microSD: Keep your favorite movies, music, and photos with you. Key to Backups. 16 GB ~$26 - 32 GB ~$55 & 64GB

Keyboard: The Asus Transform turns into a netbook with the optional keyboard. The HP TouchPad wireless keyboard, Apple iPad wireless keyboard, Xoom keyboard, and Samsung keyboard are available at an addition cost.

CPU Speed, dual cores, and memory alone do not show how fast a device will be. Kernel, skins, ROM, and services also affect overall speed.

Multitasking: Compare Android Multitasking, iPhone notifications pop-up and require you to open the app right away. webOS, PlayBook, and Android let you see and respond later.

Voice Control: Palm Just Type is similar to Android Search and iPhone Spotlight (customize). Android Voice Actions and iPhone Voice Commands accept voice commands.

Proximity Transfer allows nearby devices to transfer information. Bump (2009) transfers contacts, songs, photos, events, money, friends, and apps between iPhones or Androids. The Nexus S and S 4G and Galaxy S II offer similar 2009 Near Field Communication standards. HP Touch-to-share (2011) transfers URLs, text, or calls between devices with the same HP profile. BlackBerry Bridge (2010) offers similar sharing with a BlackBerry phone.

Resources:
Asus Transformer Website - Android Central: Review - Availability
- - Rooted - Videos: Commercial - Asus demo - User unboxing
Acer Iconia A500 Official Website - Android Central Review - Best Buy
Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 - Samsung Site - Android Central - Keyboard
Apple - iPad Official Site - Actually made by Foxconn
- - Wireless keyboard
Xoom Official Site - WSJ: Xoom Costs $278 - Bill of Materials
- - Made by Foxconn - CES: Xoom specs | ZDNet - Keyboard
- - BGR: XOOM not a flop - Xoom orders drop - zdnet: Sales underwhelming
Toshiba Official Site - Android Central - cnet - Phone Arena
HP TouchPad Official Site - TouchPad Palm Website
- - PreCentral.net: TouchPad vs iPad 2 - Review - Ad - Hands-on -Changes
- - Touchstone Technology Expands: Exhibition, Touch-to-Share
RIM BlackBerry Playbook - Best Buy - No keyboard option
- - DOA: PlayBook to Ship Without Mail, Messaging or Contacts
- - RIM PlayBook's Big Weakness: BlackBerry Required

Comparisons:
Spreadsheet
PDAdb.net Mobile Device Comparison
iPad 2 vs. Xoom vs. TouchPad vs. PlayBook -Engadget
Comparison Chart: Motorola XOOM vs. iPad (Updated) - Droid Life
Apple iPad 2, Motorola XOOM Wi-Fi, HP TouchPad - Phone Arena
HP TouchPad, 4G PlayBook, Galaxy Tab 4G LTE - Phone Arena
Phone Arena: Galaxy vs Asus

See our sister site, TiPb, for more on the iPad and iPad 2 and PreCentral for more on the TouchPad. Also see the Android Getting Started Guide for more on Android features.

Last edited:

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
No positive for the Touch Pads CPU?
This avoids comparing processors as noted in the opening post. Last fall we compared 1.2 Ghz overclocked Pre+'s to 1Ghz Android's in real world tests and it was not even close. An interpreter has no chance against optimized compiled code. Much slower CPU BlackBerry's and iPhone's were 2-3 times faster.

CPU speed can be a good indicator when comparing devices with the same OS and skins. But that is not our case here. The other performance factors are just as important if not more so.

Reactions: Antlive

silvra7

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
yes I have a xoom. To be frank I don't know too much about DLNA specifically and I saw there is a thread on here about it but you have to download third party apps? So it may have DLNA but it's not supported by either Google or Motorola as there is no app or no setting that I could see and it's not listed on the tech specs on the Motorola site.

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Thank you!

The Moto site in January did say DLNA but it has been removed!

So either it has yet to be enabled or never had DLNA.

Either way, they took it off for now and so did I. The chart is updated to remove DLNA.

Great feedback. Anything else?

silvra7

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
well with the HDMI out I think it's worth noting that you have to purchase an accessory for the iPad in addition to a cable for that to work. So far in all the pictures I've seen of the Galaxy Tabs I've not seen an HDMI out either, it actually looks very similar to the iPad in that it's a proprietary connector.

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
The diversity of ROM's and accessories for all these tablets will be staggering. We just can't include all of the permutations. All of these require that you buy HDMI cables to use HDMI out.

Complex Pants

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
One thing I would like to note is that the Samsung 32gb tablet is the same price as the Xoom. Hopefully when the 16gb Xoom is released it will match the Samsung tablet or be cheaper.

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
One thing I would like to note is that the Samsung 32gb tablet is the same price as the Xoom...
It would have helped if the Xoom had a base price option at $499. The Xoom is a great case study.

Also, the opening post is updated to add the Acer Iconia A500 that will be coming out in just a few days.

If you are OK with a tablet that is thicker and heavier like the Xoom, the Asus Transformer is $399 and the Acer Iconia A500 is $449.

If you want a tablet that is thinner, lighter than even the iPad 2 while matching or beating all the other specs, there is the Galaxy 10.1 at $499.

It is an exciting time!

Complex Pants

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
It would have helped if the Xoom had a base price option at $499. The Xoom is a great case study.

Also, the opening post is updated to add the Acer Iconia A500 that will be coming out in just a few days.

If you are OK with a tablet that is thicker and heavier like the Xoom, the Asus Transformer is $399 and the Acer Iconia A500 is $449.

If you want a tablet that is thinner, lighter than even the iPad 2 while matching or beating all the other specs, there is the Galaxy 10.1 at $499.

It is an exciting time!

I agree, but honestly I will most likely keep my xoom because its price isn't that much off from the 10.1 and I would gladly trade some thinness for a pure honeycomb. But that is just me.

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I agree, but honestly I will most likely keep my xoom because its price isn't that much off from the 10.1 and I would gladly trade some thinness for a pure honeycomb. But that is just me.
The Acer and Asus websites say that they are the pure Honeycomb. I really hope that most will do that. If they got Honeycomb right, keep it consistent and it will be easy for the manufacturer to update.

Last edited:

Complex Pants

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
The Acer and Asus websites say that they are the pure Honeycomb. I really hope that most will do that. If they got Honeycomb right, keep it consistent and it will be easy for the manufacturer to update.

Unless my eyes deceive me, the images of the transformer on the ASUS website is running a skin of honeycomb.

P_500.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
szcad