USB Type C to 3.5mm battery hog.

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I have a Nexus 6P which has a headphone jack so I decided to buy a dongle to see what the big deal of losing a headphone jack would be in future phones. So the dongle I got works fine and the sound quality is good not as loud but a good balance as the 3.5mm jack can boost the audio too loud. Well using it however the battery drains like a sift. Walking down a block listening to a album on the Apple Music app the battery drained 6% in about 25 minutes which is crazy. What got me was after leaving it plugged in for about a half hour but my music paused my phone drained 2% doing nothing. Well today walking home after using Amazon Music app a different one my battery drained about 5% when I got home.

Then that night streaming DI.FM app which drains the battery normally about 20 minutes it was 7% which is crazy worse than Bluetooth or even the Chromecast audio direct casting. I did not even attempt TuneIn the worse battery hogging app ever.

Well today again listening to Amazon Music with the 3.5mm jack walking to where I had to go and back it only went down 1%.

Edit: Sorry forgot to post the actual dongle here.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Rather than a simple converter cable, it appears to be an "active" device with its own processor; that might explain the power draw (although it still seems quite high).

I note that two of the eight people who posted reviews complained that the USB-C connector broke off in their phone and they had to use a pair of pliers to remove it...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar