From Verizon to Consumer Cellular
    Installed new SIM cards in my Note 4 (I was using Vz) and S5 (bought thru Amazon).
    After a lot of support calls, both phones work, messages work, voice mail work.
    Modified Access Point Name - new = CC LTE in both phones
    Chrome connects on my phone, not S5.
    Just talked 45 minutes about this problem. Lots of rebooting. Suggested:
    I swap SIM cards and re-test. Same results - it's NOT the SIM card.
    ---
    Vz says they don't lock phones, the Amazon ad said "Verizon" and "unlocked."
    Refurb S5 seems perfect. I called seller - seemed to know his stuff, said he'd work out any problem.
    Is it significant that Note 4 was purchased directly through Vz?
    ---
    I can't imagine what CC can do. It seems bizarre that the phone is bad. But I need help, and I'm sure this sort of problem can't be unique.
    ---
    THANKS
    01-08-2017 04:18 PM
    What's the exact model number of the S5? Can you use the Consumer Cellular APN settings for the AT&T or T-Mobile network, or does it have to be Verizon? You can find the APN settings for AT&T/T-Mobile here: https://www.consumercellular.com/Support/Knowledgebase. Type "APN" in the "Ask a Question" box, and select the only result that comes up.
    01-09-2017 12:06 AM
    • Both phones after power off/on display the message "SIM card is not from Verizon Wireless"

Thanks.
    Wow! The exact model of the S5?
    • The box shows model = SM-G900V (and, in addition to the IMEI and S/N, it says Verizon: 8235V

Regarding the APN:
    • I've setup the APN exactly the same as on my Note 4. I've verified it letter by letter twice, with my wife the second time.
    • Ditto checking it against the email they sent detailing the info in the CC Knowledgebase.
    • I spent 45 minutes with a support guy who seemed decent who was checking with his supervisor (?) several times during our conversation.
    • It did not seem likely to me that swapping SIM cards would work but I was glad to try, just the eliminate the possibility that the SIM was bad.

Also, in case it matters:
    • Both phones after power off/on display the message "SIM card is not from Verizon Wireless"

I will probably make a final attempt to solve the problem by calling Consumer Cellular tomorrow. But I suspect we end up being forced to return the S5's (we got two S5's, but I've just been working on one so far).
    01-09-2017 01:14 AM
    On the S5, go to Settings>About Phone>Model Number. Does it also say SM-G900V there, or is it something different? Sometimes a seller will flash a different firmware onto the phone in order to make it compatible with other networks -- but this might also cause problems.
    01-09-2017 02:02 AM
    Yes - Settings shows the same model #
    Good idea to verify.
    Thanks
    01-09-2017 10:29 AM
    Look in the Settings>Mobile Networks menu for a Preferred Network Type option. What is it set to, and what other options are there?
    01-09-2017 12:21 PM
    Look in the Settings>Mobile Networks menu for a Preferred Network Type option. What is it set to, and what other options are there?
    FYI,
    1) After every significant change I power off, wait 5 seconds, and power back on
    2) My DATA TEST = Chrome w/o WiFi = "Your are offline" means no data (it works w/ WiFi)

/ Mobile Networks / "Preferred Network Type" = "GLOBAL"
    >> Changed to LTE / GSM / UMTS (3rd choice = LTE / CDMA / UMTS) - no DATA

/ Mobile Networks / Available Networks = AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon Wireless (selected automatically)

Click on AT&T and returns to prior screen, and shows message "Registered on network"

/ More Networks / Mobile networks / Access Point Names / CC LTE (other choice = LTE - Verizon Internet)
    >> I created "CC LTE" and have been through it line-by-line with Consumer Cellular support

NOTE - sometimes as I am doing all this, I return to "Access Point Names" and neither button is green

And, as always, THANKS
    01-09-2017 02:49 PM
    Refurb S5 Phone seller (cellular gallery) says the phone needs to be reset.
    So we did a hard reset on the phone, including cache.
    (I had done a reset on my Note but I had not noticed any changes)
    Hooray? Might "reset" be the magic elixir?

One hour later, after reloading the intro stuff and the APN of CC LTE, power off/on > > still no data
    Checked settings, APN = no green button next to CC LTE so I turned it on.
    Went out to home screen and checked settings again. CC LTE was still green
    Power off/on
    Same result - neither button is green

Waiting for Consumer Cellular to call back (boy is that vastly better than listening to the voice mail marketing loop).
    01-09-2017 04:43 PM
    Well I'm stuck. I hope their tech support helps you figure it out!
    hobkirk likes this.
    01-09-2017 05:17 PM