I've already successfully rooted my phone, but am wondering how to run any app as root. I'm no computer newbie -- 20+ years using FreeBSD -- but only got my very first smartphone a month ago.

I know some apps need root privileges to run effectively, but how exactly does one do this? FWIW, also have BusyBox properly installed.

So, is there a general method for running *any* app as root? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    01-25-2017 05:06 PM
    Hello,
    Only certain apps need root.. Usually it's the ones that need special permission / access certain protected areas.

For example.. Titanium backup and Root Explorer.

If you have supersu installed.. It will act as a firewall..... In the sense that you will get a pop-up asking if you want to grant root permission to "x" app. Once you grant permission the app will fully boot and will have root permission.

It's a good idea to have supersu (or similar) installed... It's a security measure.... Without it a malicious app with root access can ruin your day!
    01-25-2017 05:58 PM
    Thanks. Unfortunately, superSU doesn't seem to want to install on my phone. Says it needs to update itself, but the update fails.

I do have King Root installed, and I assume that it is what's providing the root access management you described, which I have already seen occur here.

But what I was really hoping for is a way to force root privileges, even for apps that don't explicitly request it themselves. Is that even possible?
    01-25-2017 08:00 PM
    Why would you want to enforce root privileges for apps that don't need root access?

In all honesty the less you give root access the more secure your phone is.

To the best of my knowledge ... You cannot give root access to an app that wasn't designed for it, the app itself wouldn't really know what to do with it... Because it doesn't need it.
    01-25-2017 11:16 PM
    Sure, I realized later how little sense that makes. Really about the only use I can think of for root at this time is re: file management, and having installed Root Explorer now, I've got that covered.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Appreciate it!
    spagman likes this.
    01-26-2017 07:05 AM
    There are other good uses that come with root....
    For example some apps allow you to tweak cpu / memory....
    If you code... Terminal emulator with root comes in handy...

People that customize their phones with Roms need root..

Thanks
    01-26-2017 08:36 AM