Google Play Services crash after hard resets

dlalonde

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
I have a Moto X Play with Marshmallow 6.0.1. Several weeks ago I've tried using a phone rocking Nougat 7.1.1 and connected my Google account to it. Since then when I factory reset my Moto phone, I either get "Google Play Services has stopped working" after the first boot (when the store updates itself to the latest version) or the store just becomes white and I have to force quit it and reopen it to see it (and it's been updated).

I get the feeling that something's changed on my account and now when I log onto it, the version of the store that comes with my phone is somehow incompatible and crashes. Then when I open it again I'm on the latest version of the store and everything works fine.

I've had a similar situation in the past with another phone as well after buying a song on the Google Play store.

Am I right? Did using a more recent Android version change something in my account that could cause the old store version to crash?

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Logging in on the other phone shouldn't cause that... it won't override your phone's version that way.

It sounds like you have a mismatch in the Google stuff... Here, the Play Store got bumped up, but Google Play Services is out of whack... the two are so tightly wound that if they aren't in sync, very bad things happen. Though, GPS is usually updated if an app that accesses it attempts to do its thing. So there's an update pending in there somewhere that needs to go through. Not owning a Z, I don't want to break your stuff with some bad advice on how to fix it. :)

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
@LeoRex, wouldn't a data clear in Play Services force an update? Or is that a placebo?

That might do it. If it were another app, I would say disable and re-enable, which rolls it back to the 'factory' state and could also trigger it to get its update. But disabling GPS, hmm... not something I think I've tried before...

dlalonde

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your replies.

Actually the trouble happens after going back to factory settings before any update whatsoever. So it's basically stock as it would be if it was bought new and there's no cache or anything. What I do notice is that after the crash the Google Play Store is updated (which happens in the background before any app update if I'm not mistaken). So it seems like the Google Play Store version Google is pushing on my account is different and incompatible with the Google Play Services pre-installed on my device. It's a Moto X Play (not Z) so it's an almost 2 year old ROM.

My theory is that, given I've logged onto a 7.1.1 phone, it's like Google is pushing a later version of the store on my phone. But I'm not sure how things work on that front so I might be way off.

dlalonde

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
Do you still get the same error after all your apps have been downloaded and all your settings restored?

No just before. After the store restarts everything works fine, even the updates.

I just reset to factory settings and used a test Google account to try and it didn't crash. I'll try again with my real account.

Have you done a factory reset recently?

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
No just before. After the store restarts everything works fine, even the updates.

I just reset to factory settings and used a test Google account to try and it didn't crash. I'll try again with my real account.

Have you done a factory reset recently?
No, I haven't. I wonder if this could be related to some of the Moto apps that were removed or redesigned after Marshmallow. Maybe some of them relied on Google play services, so after android restores your settings there's a conflict with some option from Lollipop times. And all is good after the Moto apps are updated from the Play Store.

If you want to try again you could reset app preferences as soon as possible and see if it stops the error. This can be done in settings - apps - the dots top right.

dlalonde

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
Well this is strange... so after putting my test account, no problem. Now I reset, put my real account, no problem.

The difference though is that, instead of resetting to factory from the Recovery I did it from the Settings. Maybe that changes something?

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Well this is strange... so after putting my test account, no problem. Now I reset, put my real account, no problem.

The difference though is that, instead of resetting to factory from the Recovery I did it from the Settings. Maybe that changes something?

Yes, it does. A factory reset from the settings disables the Android Device Protection and you can have a fresh start when setting the phone up again. If you do it from recovery one of the first steps should be signing with the previous Google account.

Not sure why it gave you that problem with the Play Services, though. :)

Take a look here to see how it works.

https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/104542

dlalonde

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
Yes, it does. A factory reset from the settings disables the Android Device Protection and you can have a fresh start when setting the phone up again. If you do it from recovery one of the first steps should be signing with the previous Google account.

Not sure why it gave you that problem with the Play Services, though. :)

Take a look here to see how it works.

https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/104542

Oh wow! I didn't know that. Thanks for the link!

Nevertheless, after several resets, there's no more problem now. I have no clue what that was but hey it's working! :D

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay