Need Serious Help with Adoptable Storage

Matt Hawk

Feb 14, 2017
Visit site
I have two Moto X Pure phones. One of them has no internal storage left from its original partition. I've tried 3 different Micro SD cards to add internal storage to the phone.

I tried a 128GB SP: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5677213

A 128GB Sandisk: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5677213

and today I got a 64GB Sandisk, since it's the micro SD card that I have working in my other phone that has no storage issues: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5677213

I was not able to even format the SP 128GB card as adoptable storage as the format meter kept getting stuck at the 30% mark for about 5 minutes then said some error and the micro sd card said it was corrupted in settings afterwords.

Both Sandisk models allowed me to successfully format them as adoptable, but my problem is that I cannot seem to actually write any data to them. With my original internal storage full, but about 58GB of the micro sd card free, I've tried to save data from podcasts apps to "internal storage," but they say "Failed: storage is not accessible." When I try to take a picture, it says "Your internal storage is running out of space, you need to delete some files."

If I go into the Storage settings, I find that the original internal storage doesn't have 3 dots in the top right, and the SD card formatted as internal storage does have the 3 dots in the top right, but only allow for "Rename, Eject, and Format as portable." This phone had a 32GB Sandisk formatted as adoptable, but I want to replace it and I haven't told the OS to "forget" the 32GB micro sd card, since I'd prefer to not lose the data on the 32GB if I can avoid it.

My other phone that's working perfectly well has the exact same 64GB Sandisk micro SD card model as the malfunctioning one. I tried largely trying to do the same things on both phones, to troubleshoot. The phone that's fine has the same issue with writing to the new Micro SD cards. This sorta gives me hope that there's some easy fix I don't know about. Since I didn't "forget" the first adoptable micro sd cards that both phones have, I'm wondering that they're not writing to the new cards because they're unhappy that the old micro sds are still saved, or something.

Both Moto X Pure phones are running 6.0, have identical security patch of Sept. 1, 2016, identical Baseband versions, identical Kernel versions, identical system versions, and identical build numbers.

I have both phones available and all micro sd cards available. It would be wonderful to have this figured out by very early Feb. 15th, since someone needs to use the problematic phone for possibly hours of video recording and 100s of pictures taken.

I've tried for hours searching for any helpful information online about this, but I can't seem to find any relevant information on this issue. I appreciate any help.

Matt Hawk

Feb 14, 2017
Visit site
UPDATE: I told the phone to "forget" the original adoptable storage and now it lets me migrate my data to a new sd card. I am now also able to download apps and app data, but the camera is now not letting me take photos or video since it still thinks there isn't enough space. According to my storage on internal and adoptable sd card, there are many GBs of space available.

Matt Hawk

Feb 14, 2017
Visit site
UPDATE 2: I factory reset the phone and it now allows me to take pictures and save them, in addition to allowing me to migrate data from my internal storage to my adoptable storage on my 128GB SanDisk.