Problem with my SD card

jimkog

Feb 17, 2017
Visit site
When i updated to Android(6.0) it asked me to make my SD card internal and i accepted it. Today i reseted it to factory settings(without having my SD on it). Unfortunately I didn't passed my photos to my computer and now when i connect the SD to my phone or my computer they ask me to format it! (windows error: H:\ is not accessible. The volume does not contain a recognized file system). I've tryed programs like EaseUS Data Recovery and Ontrack EasyRecovery but they find my folders and pictures as deleted. If it helps i use Kali Linux except Windows.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! When you format the SD card as Internal Storage (which is the Adoptable Storage feature of Marshmallow), the system incorporates the SD card into its Internal Storage, and in order to do so, encrypts the card. When you do a factory reset, you lose the encryption key. So the data on that card is lost. Sorry!

GInger Buzz

Mar 30, 2017
Visit site
I hv a question. What is the procedure if I no longer wants the SD Card as internal storage n reverse the change of the card as portable storage ? Thanks!

GInger Buzz

Mar 30, 2017
Visit site
Samsung is right NOT to adopt this feature. My TV box is running under Android 6.0.1 n was fast in streaming movies. But after I adopt thus new internal storage concept, the operation n streaming pauses, lags n freeze. It makes no sense for Android to introduce this feature as SD card ram is always slower than internal EMMC flash rom.
I hope someone can tell me how to reverse it without a factory reset as the TV Box is full of streaming addons n programs. Help?.!

treetopsranch

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Maybe, but I wouldn't expect any miracles as far as perceived speed is concerned. I also don't know if your device requires a special driver to take advantage of a faster card. Check your manual and see if it will take a faster card. I know that on my tablet it will take a higher capacity card than the manual states because the higher capacity card came out later than the manual print date. That may also apply to a faster card in your case. You could always try a faster card and see it if works. If it doesn't sell it on Ebay.

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
Can I copy all the files from the slow SD card to a higher end and faster SD card? And then use it in place of the slower card.

Yeah it does sound like your lagging issues could be more a matter of a slower microSD card. How old a card is it and what speed? If it's a Class 10 or lower you might want to go ahead and get a newer, faster one. If it is faster card, like a V30 for instance, than there could be an issue where the card is just failing. Here's a nice page with various charts on microSD card speeds:
https://www.sdcard.org/developers/overview/speed_class/
Also, this wirecutter article is full of microSD card info, even if you do or don't care about their recommendations it's a good source for general card miscellany:
The Best microSD Card | The Wirecutter
If you want to switch from an older card to a newer one, keep in mind you need to do that through your phone, once the card has been set up as adoptable storage it's encrypted and it's tied specifically to your phone. The card won't be usable in any other device until you reformat it as external storage again. To do the switch you'll need to go into your phone's Settings >> Storage menu and use the 'Migrate data' option on the old card, then set up the new card as adoptable.

GInger Buzz

Mar 30, 2017
Visit site
I'm more concerned whether I can copy and transfer all the data over to the new SD Card as the current card is being made as internal storage and encrypted.
Mine is an android TV Box running Android OS 6.0.1.
Perhaps Android should come out with a utility to reverse the change incase users changed their mind or the SD Card git corrupted.

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Getting your media files off the old card is quite simple. Just connect the phone to your computer and copy the files to your computer.
The problem is with any apps that are on the adopted card; when you reformat the card to external storage, you will lose those apps.

GInger Buzz

Mar 30, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for all your suggestions. But the key point is how to transfer EVERYTHING over to the new card. There are encrypted files, hidden files, apps n data files.
What I need is help n instructions from someone who had done it before.
Android should have come out with a official reversal procedure. Sigh.

Yeah it does sound like your lagging issues could be more a matter of a slower microSD card. How old a card is it and what speed? If it's a Class 10 or lower you might want to go ahead and get a newer, faster one. If it is faster card, like a V30 for instance, than there could be an issue where the card is just failing. Here's a nice page with various charts on microSD card speeds:
https://www.sdcard.org/developers/overview/speed_class/
Also, this wirecutter article is full of microSD card info, even if you do or don't care about their recommendations it's a good source for general card miscellany:
The Best microSD Card | The Wirecutter
If you want to switch from an older card to a newer one, keep in mind you need to do that through your phone, once the card has been set up as adoptable storage it's encrypted and it's tied specifically to your phone. The card won't be usable in any other device until you reformat it as external storage again. To do the switch you'll need to go into your phone's Settings >> Storage menu and use the 'Migrate data' option on the old card, then set up the new card as adoptable.

Will this data migration include everything on the card? Have you done it before?

Last edited by a moderator:

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
Will this data migration include everything on the card? Have you done it before?

Before you move everything from your card to your internal storage, confirm you actually have enough free space in your Android TV's internal storage. Then go to Settings >> Storage & USB >> Internal Storage to get to 'Migrate data'. Use the Android OS on your TV box do the migration, manually doing this with a file manager app will require some deeper knowledge of the card's file structure. (...and a rooted device)

kierra91

Apr 6, 2017
Visit site
I have an lg stylo 2 with a 32gb memory card but when i put it in my phone it says theres 24.59gb on there how do i get the 32gb or is there a way to make my memory card my primary storage space?

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
The 32 GB printed on the label is the raw data storage size.

To be useable for Android (or any other operating system), a file system needs to be placed on the card. This uses up some of the raw data space.

GInger Buzz

Mar 30, 2017
Visit site
Before you move everything from your card to your internal storage, confirm you actually have enough free space in your Android TV's internal storage. Then go to Settings >> Storage & USB >> Internal Storage to get to 'Migrate data'. Use the Android OS on your TV box do the migration, manually doing this with a file manager app will require some deeper knowledge of the card's file structure. (...and a rooted device)

Hi,
I hv already done that n I regret it. What I want to do now is not to have any adoptable storage. How can I migrate the data back fm the card to the phone internal storage n then format my card as portable storage.?
Any ideas? Some say copy all data to cloud storage n fm there back to the phone internal storage. Anybody had done that? The card then be format from a PC n use as portable removable storage. Help?

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
Hi,
Some say copy all data to cloud storage n fm there back to the phone internal storage. Anybody had done that? The card then be format from a PC n use as portable removable storage. Help?

If you want to change your microSD card from adoptable storage back to external storage again, you do need to save all the contents of the card so you can then reformat it. Use that 'Migrate data' option in your Android TV's Settings menu to move all its app data back to the internal storage. If you've stored a lot of data (presumably videos) you'll need to copy those back to your Android TV's internal storage. Again, because the card is currently set as adoptable storage you need to do all file transferring on your Android TV, the card won't be usable in any other device or computer until you reformat it back to being external storage media. If you don't have enough free space in your Android TV fit everything, you'll need to at least temporarily copy whatever files you can to a safe place (a computer or laptop, or online storage service) to make room. Once that's done, reformat the card to be external storage, and then at that point you can unmount/mount that card whenever you need to, and use it as a transfer media with other devices again.

GInger Buzz

Mar 30, 2017
Visit site
If you want to change your microSD card from adoptable storage back to external storage again, you do need to save all the contents of the card so you can then reformat it. Use that 'Migrate data' option in your Android TV's Settings menu to move all its app data back to the internal storage. If you've stored a lot of data (presumably videos) you'll need to copy those back to your Android TV's internal storage. Again, because the card is currently set as adoptable storage you need to do all file transferring on your Android TV, the card won't be usable in any other device or computer until you reformat it back to being external storage media. If you don't have enough free space in your Android TV fit everything, you'll need to at least temporarily copy whatever files you can to a safe place (a computer or laptop, or online storage service) to make room. Once that's done, reformat the card to be external storage, and then at that point you can unmount/mount that card whenever you need to, and use it as a transfer media with other devices again.
My OS is 6.0.1.
When I click the SD Card, I don't get (migrate data). I get only (eject) n (erase & format data). Why?
Migrate data only appeared under internal storage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zif835