I use Android File Transfer on my Mac. It worked flawlessly until I started using it with my new Android phone, the Moto G4 Play.
    When I connect the phone a pop-up window appears, telling me to click on USB options on the phone's pull down menu. I choose the File Transfer option and click OK on the pop-up window.
    Half the time it works and the file explorer appears. The other half of the time my computer freezes and I have to power down and turn the computer back on.
    Everytime I have to restart the computer I have issues with the keyboard not typing. When I restart a second time the problem is remedied.
    I originally posted this problem on the Apple forum and I was offered a solution that involves deleting, but I haven't tried this yet because it's obvious that this problem has everything to do with my new phone.
    Before I try the suggestion I got over on the Apple site, I wanted to asked you guys over here if you've had a similar problem.
    I'm thinking that there might be a phone setting I have set wrong which is causing the problem.
    I just don't wanna start messing with computer account files when it's a phone related issue.

Thanks,
    Adam
    03-23-2017 12:07 AM
    I have had this problem for over a year and just gave up on it. I have not found a solution. My understanding is its the MAC OSx, "Seeing" a non-apple USB device and interpreting it as a threat, or just not liking what it sees all together. Its not the phone or android, no matter how you set it OSx will always see it this way. Even if you set the USB protocol to Charging only, it will still lock up the MAC roughly half the time.

Would you mind sharing the solution from apple? or a link to it? I'd like to read up on it as well... THANKS!!
    03-23-2017 10:10 AM
    I have had this problem for over a year and just gave up on it. I have not found a solution. My understanding is its the MAC OSx, "Seeing" a non-apple USB device and interpreting it as a threat, or just not liking what it sees all together. Its not the phone or android, no matter how you set it OSx will always see it this way. Even if you set the USB protocol to Charging only, it will still lock up the MAC roughly half the time.

Would you mind sharing the solution from apple? or a link to it? I'd like to read up on it as well... THANKS!!
    That isn't true, the whole thing about Apple seeing Android as a threat. This is my third Android phone since I switched to Metro PCS and ditched my iPhone. I never got used to it the (the iPhone). I hated how it doesn't let u save files on the phone, as I do that all.the time. I'm not gonna get into my dislike for the iPhone...that'd be a whole other thread.

What I'm getting at with the Android is that (as I stated in my og post) the first two I owned never cause me a problem when transferring files; I've been using the same software for the transfers this whole time, without issue. The problem has to be the USB cable I'm using or the phone itself.

I have another thread on this forum regarding this Moto G4 Play. To sum things up, something seems off with the Moto. I think it came with a defective battery. 've had the phone for a week now and never have enough time to get a full 100% charge. I had it plugged in for over 3hrs yesterday morning and it only made it to 85%.. not to mention that I started the charge at 15%!

Is this Moto G4 Play an older phone that's out of production? If so, is it possible that the battery it came with is just as old and lost a decent amount of it's power just sitting around in the Amazon warehouse?
    03-24-2017 03:12 AM