These two would not let me "enable" or "uninstall" them like the others would to get them off my screen.

Someone suggested I download an app called "Greenify" which I did but I have no idea how to use it. And from what I can tell, I don't see any option within this "Greenify" app to "disable" these two annoying apps?

Can someone help? Thanks!
    04-09-2017 07:37 PM
    Those apps are 'baked' into the OS, so you cannot remove them unless you root your phone. You can hide them (not sure if you can disable them, though... they'd still be in your phone but just not active) from your launcher but that's about it.
    04-09-2017 09:08 PM
    How do I even hide them though? I have tried disabling them but the disable button is not there.
    04-10-2017 02:58 PM
    You'd need a launcher that supports hiding apps from your App Drawer. Not sure if TouchWiz (the stock Samsung launcher) allows hiding apps (I think it does!). If it does, you should see a HIDE APPS section somewhere in the App Drawer settings. If not, you'd have to switch to a launcher that allows hiding apps (like Nova).
    04-10-2017 10:34 PM
    Sorry I'm not really understanding what you are saying? Can you break it down more for me? Do I have to download a certain app? If so, why did some tell me Greenify is the one I should download if it doesn't work for this? What do most people do in my situation?
    04-11-2017 11:16 PM
    OK. First things first. The launcher. The launcher is the main doorway into your phone. It's the graphical interface used to add widgets, pages, access your apps, etc. The launcher that comes with your phone can have certain features or lack some others. Since Android lets you install a different launcher that might make your phone feel different and add features, you can do that and replace the phone's way of showing you your apps and widgets on screen. Since you have a Samsung phone, the launcher that comes with it is called TouchWiz, and I'm not sure if that lets you select an app from your App Drawer (the icon page with all your installed apps) and hide them. If it doesn't, 3rd party launchers like Nova DO offer this feature.

Second, OS apps. Android as a system has certain apps that it just needs to work and cannot be disabled. Manufacturers and carriers can also add their own, so in the case of Samsung, it decided that certain apps it bundles with their phones, including Samsung Pay, are not to be disabled. So you cannot uninstall them or put them to permanent sleep like other apps. BUT you can hide them if the launcher part above allows it. The apps are still in your phone, you just don't see them in your app list.

Third, Greenify. The app simply takes any active process and stops it or takes you to the uninstall/disable page. That's it. With certain apps, however, this is not possible as we mentioned earlier, so Greenify cannot do anything to those. But there's a catch. If you root your phone, Greenify can do more, including stopping those restricted apps.

Which brings us to our fourth point: Rooting. It's basically hacking your phone and allowing things that were previously restricted, wide open for modification. Like leaving the door to your house unlocked. This is good if you have apps that can modify your experience with deeper changes, like stopping OS apps or changing the aspect of restricted things in your phone like the notification bar, boot logos, etc. BUT, just like leaving your door unlocked, this is risky. If an app modifies the wrong thing, deletes the wrong file, or you choose to stop the wrong app, you may render your phone from partially crippled to completely unusable (and in worst cases, totally unrecoverable). So do not dabble with root lightly, especially if you do not feel comfortable with a mid/high-level of knowledge about these things.

As to your 'what do most people do?' question... well, I think most people just leave Samsung Pay and Galaxy Apps there. If you don't use them, don't use them (although from a security standpoint, you SHOULD be using Samsung Pay vs physical cards, but that's a different topic of conversation). Or, if they can, just hide the icons.
    ManiacJoe likes this.
    04-12-2017 04:21 AM