so i dropped my phone and...

jmart21

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
so i dropped my phone last night while skipping to my car ( yeah i know..smh) anyways the screen cracked pretty bad and its an lg axis. im out of insurance claims and my service provider wants me to pay retail for a new phone. i know that they do esn switches and can change to an old phone but i dont want to down grade. i guess what im asking is would there be any way to switch my phone myself to a different phone? if that makes sence. can i switcth the esn's? also if it helps i dont have a sim card.

thanks for the help in advance.

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your phone. (Bummer)

Are you asking if you can used another phone that you have? Usually you can, once the other device is capable of being activated. (All phone activation would require an ESN swap on your account.)

Have you tried contacting the phone's manufacturer - to see if they could assist you in this matter.
Note: Keep in mind that a manufacturer warranty is only (valid) for one year in most country.

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Are you asking if you can switch ESN's between phones?

If so the answer is no. ESN's are bound to the device.

Your best bet, if you don't want to downgrade is either buy a used device on Craig’s List, e-bay or the AC marketplace forum with a CLEAN ESN (Call your carrier to do an ESN check of the device you are going to buy before buying it.), or see if you can buy a new screen and replace it yourself.

Sorry about your phone, however as a consolation prize you could post a picture and memorialize it in the new Android Graveyard forum. ;)

jmart21

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
about the esn's what im askings is can i switch them myself? is there a software out there that can do it? i mean if the people at my service provider can do it im sure i could learn how.

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
about the esn's what im askings is can i switch them myself? is there a software out there that can do it? i mean if the people at my service provider can do it im sure i could learn how.
Good luck on that.

I don't think that there is an app for that.

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site

When the carrier switches an ESN, they are not changing the ESN of the phone; they are changing the ESN in their system that routes your number to the new phone.

In everyday lingo; there is a pointer in VZW's system that says Joe's phone number is 123-456-7890 and his phone has an ESN of 1234567890abcdef. When the phone with ESN 1234567890abcdef connects to a tower VZW knows that calls to 123-456-7890 go to that phone.

When Joe gets a new phone, the ESN for the new device is placed in VZW's system so that 123-456-7890 now points to abcdef1234567890 instead of 1234567890abcdef. The ESN's of the physical devices do not change.

Make sense?

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Have you checked Ebay for a replacement Screen? It may be worth a shot being that a screen replacement can be reasonably purchased. The hard part will be installation as you'll have to take apart the phone and install the new one. It's probably worth a shot considering you'll spend a few bucks on the screen replacement and if all else fails, go out and purchase a new phone.

Just a thought :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay