Is it possible to modify an .apk so that it can run on a phone it's not supposed to be running on?

John256145

Jul 21, 2015
Visit site
Some apps that are meant to run only on specific phones will refuse to install on other phones. Is it possible to modify the .apk so the app can run on any phone? I wanted to use Motorola's file manager app on a Samsung phone, but if I try installing it, I get an "App not installed" error.

Mr Mendelli

Dec 19, 2016
Visit site
Some apps that are meant to run only on specific phones will refuse to install on other phones. Is it possible to modify the .apk so the app can run on any phone? I wanted to use Motorola's file manager app on a Samsung phone, but if I try installing it, I get an "App not installed" error.

sorry but you can't.

Actually you can, but you will need to modify the APK manifest, as well as sign it with a new key. TestKey is free, and easy to find, but you're better off making your own. Keep in mind that this method doesn't work on all apps and some apps are very well protected, and will no longer function if they're signature is broken. With some apps, you may even need to do more than just vi info swapping. With these apps, there are too many variables to explain how to modify them. To modify the manifest, you will need:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
APK Editor Pro ($4.99)
APK Easy Manager (Freeware)
ZipSigner (Freeware)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 1.
I would provide screenshots, but I don't have access to the APKs for this tutorial. I recommend APK Editor Pro, it's the easiest method. APK Easy Manager is a Windows application, I do not know if you can decompile APKs on Mac. You do need the pro version in order to modify the manifest. First open the samsung file explorer in "Common Edit". Now copy the Version Code, Version Name, Minimum SDK Version, and Target SDK Version to a note with the corrisponding names, numbers, ect... Now open the Motorola explorer APK and replace the corrisponding values.

Step 2.
After you're done making your modifications, make a unique key with ZipZigner and use it to sign the modified APK.

Step 3.
Install the APK, cross your fingers and profit! Hope this works for you.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjammmin007