File Management

Apr 25, 2017
Visit site
Hi,

Brand new to android here, coming from BB10 which had superb user file management. Is there a setting, an application, something out there for android which permits the user to choose where files are to be saved that are downloaded? Like a directory picker or something? In BB10, whenever a user downloaded a file from within any application, it would open up the device file manager and allow the user to choose where to download that file, doesn't seem to happen in android, as each application seems to create its own directory folder and automatically places downloaded files there without user choice, creating a time crushing mess because now the user has to go into each application folder created within their device directory and take the time to move every file into the directory folder they wanted the file to be saved in the first place. If not, why hasn't some creative, talented dev taken care of this already?

If there's a way, an available application which permits this, please let us know.

Thank you very much in advance!

treetopsranch

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
I feel your pain. Windows has a much better file management system. Lot easier for us to use and move files around. However, for some reason, (possibly security reasons), Android puts files where it wants them to go.

Apr 25, 2017
Visit site
Yes, it is indeed painful, may be as you say, security reasons. Wonder if they allow the app devs to code that capability into their applications though and it's just not being done or if the OS just will not permit it. It's cumbersome, and certainly a negative enough point to consider departing from android, especially after using BB10 and how quick and organized everything was. Found out yesterday, even WinRAR won't recognize the device while usb to the pc to extract files to it, sad. Something about real folders vs android's virtual folder setup. Haven't used a Windows mobile device yet, so not sure how well it works, or if it's file management works as well as BB10 does. If they come out with a decent enough device, and get app developer support, we would certainly consider it.

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
It is not Android the OS that is the problem. There is a /downloads folder available for all to use.

The problem is the app devs choosing to put the files in a non-centralized folder.
A better option for them would be to put an app-specific folder in the /downloads folder.

Mr Mendelli

Dec 19, 2016
Visit site
Hi,

Brand new to android here, coming from BB10 which had superb user file management. Is there a setting, an application, something out there for android which permits the user to choose where files are to be saved that are downloaded? Like a directory picker or something? In BB10, whenever a user downloaded a file from within any application, it would open up the device file manager and allow the user to choose where to download that file, doesn't seem to happen in android, as each application seems to create its own directory folder and automatically places downloaded files there without user choice, creating a time crushing mess because now the user has to go into each application folder created within their device directory and take the time to move every file into the directory folder they wanted the file to be saved in the first place. If not, why hasn't some creative, talented dev taken care of this already?

If there's a way, an available application which permits this, please let us know.

Thank you very much in advance!
It is possible, but only through modding if an app doesn't allow the selection of a directory. I've done this to lots of apps, but it can be quite a process, and differs per app.

treetopsranch

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Another issue that I discovered with some Android apps...if you are trying to save a file with the same name as one already present then nothing happens. Even though the new file is different because you just made a revision the app sees the file name as same as the one that is already there so you don't even get a message like you do in windows such as: "Do you want to replace the existing file?"

Especially maddening with spreadsheet apps as I make daily revisions and always have to create a new file name in order to save it. Come on Android developers can't you fix this?

Apr 25, 2017
Visit site
True, and some do make app-specific folders, but better management would be to put it in the hands of the user to determine where the download needs to go on their device. If it's a user initiated download, the device file manager should open giving the user control over where they need it placed in their directory to keep from having to go into multiple app-specific folders moving files to where the user needed them initially.

Also have to agree with treetopsranch, of having a name/rename/replace option for downloaded files would be extremely beneficial. The system should recognize the duplicate and provide the user the control of what happens next.

Android should have some of the very best developers in the world out there to make this happen. If BlackBerry can do it, surely android and their talented developers can.

Mr Mendelli

Dec 19, 2016
Visit site
True, and some do make app-specific folders, but better management would be to put it in the hands of the user to determine where the download needs to go on their device. If it's a user initiated download, the device file manager should open giving the user control over where they need it placed in their directory to keep from having to go into multiple app-specific folders moving files to where the user needed them initially.

Also have to agree with treetopsranch, of having a name/rename/replace option for downloaded files would be extremely beneficial. The system should recognize the duplicate and provide the user the control of what happens next.

Android should have some of the very best developers in the world out there to make this happen. If BlackBerry can do it, surely android and their talented developers can.
I was cleaning out my phone, and I stumbled upon Turbo Download Manager (Free with ads). It's programmed to appear on the "Complete action using..." prompt. While it may not work for all download links, it's still nice to know that you can set up a different downloads directory. You can either set one pre-designated location, or have it prompt you each time. While it may have ads, they're only banner ads that appear eithin the app. I haven't found a pro version or a payment method to remove the ads, but if you know your way around smali code, it isn't too hard to mod them away if they bother you too much ;).

treetopsranch

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
While it's nice to know that you can download another app to help with file management, I want the operating system to do it natively so that I don't have to have another app to do it.

Apr 25, 2017
Visit site
Exactly! We did just stumble upon the fact that Solid Explorer File Manager, through the "share" button, does show up as a "Save to", which did work, once, but what happened after this, we believe, is the very same issue you brought up. It did permit us to choose where to save, to which we were initially thrilled, but when the file names were the same, nothing happened and the second "saved"/"downloaded" file did not appear in the directory. The application didn't intercept to notify of the duplicate file names and offer to us to name/rename/cancel in order to save the 2nd file. So, although it did show that it was saving to "My Files", it did not.

Update: Looks like we were missing a notification. Did find a notification, which provided a 'choice box', for lack of better term, which did compare 2 files, asked if wanted to keep new, old or both, didn't see a name/rename option right there though which would really be nice and efficient (if the Solid devs read this, please add a rename right in the box notification). So, basically how we're dealing with it atm using Solid, is to keep it open in the background, save the file, go into Solid, rename and then we are able to save another file of the previous file name which may come to us just to be sure. Kind of cumbersome, but process does speed up after a few times.

Last edited:

treetopsranch

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
I disagree, Windows file management seems to intercept your saves to see if the file is the same name as the one already present and a dialog message appears to ask what you want to do. That occurs with any program I use to save a file. (in Windows)

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
That would be the windows app developers getting it right. They check for the existence of the file or trap the E_FILE_EXISTS error.

kdsdata

May 5, 2017
Visit site
Since you haven't told us what you are using, it's a bit of a shot in the dark to answer. However, on my Galaxy Tab A it seems totally browser dependant, meaning each one has it's own functionality.

The native "Internet" asks the question of where, and should it replace if already existing. So does "Opera", and "Google Chrome". The only one that performs like you describe is "Firefox".

Actually the native "Internet" is the best, it also shows the full source URL, so you can quickly confirm that there wasn't a sly redirect to a quirky website, before you click to download/save.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phlyx