Bluetooth Earpiece?

Apr 25, 2017
Visit site
Bluetooth earpieces, so many to choose from, and so many varying reviews out there. We haven't really had experience with them, but now find ourselves in need of using one. Our current devices are S8 Plus's, if that helps. Some features we're looking for/need:

1. over the ear, not in the ear
2. mute
3. announce caller (who's calling without having to pull out the device to see)
4. comfort
5. noise cancelling

Looking for user experiences and recommendations of a decent earpiece to purchase. What brand/models are you using and/or have had positive experience with?

Thank you very much in advance for your input!

Last edited:

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Having used an on-ear headset in a noisy environment (server room with 100's of servers running and the cooling units to keep them cool), on-ear headsets are HORRIBLE unless you get one with a pad that completely surrounds the ear.

I use a Plantronics Voyager Legend and have been VERY happy with it. it does announce callers, I find it comfortable (even as an in-ear style), does mute from the headset and I believe it has noise cancellation on the microphone.

Apr 25, 2017
Visit site
Thank you very much for your response, much appreciated!

The Voyager Legend is one we were looking into, but weren't really sure about the comfort of it, so thank you for covering that part in your reply.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I have the predecessor to this one, but the company is well enough known for me to recommend it.

http://www.vxicorp.com/on-the-road-headsets/blueparrott-b450-xt

1. It's over the ear with a large cup. It's a larger cup than my version, which is already sizable enough to cut out ambient noise.

2. The customizable button can be set to mute.

3. Not sure if it'll announce the caller. I always thought that was a function of the phone itself, not the headset. It's not something I've ever had need to try.

4. Comfort has never been an issue, and this one looks to be just fine.

5. The Blue Parrot line has always been known for its noise cancellation above all else (except for maybe the insane talk times). They are the defacto headset suggested among truckers looking for the best noise cancellation and call quality. I could hang my head out the window going down the highway and you'd never know. This is the most important feature of a headset to me.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I just got word back from VXi, and the headset I linked does include the ability to announce the caller info. So definitely worth checking out.

Apr 25, 2017
Visit site
Certainly appreciate your very detailed assistance and followup post! Yes, it does appear to be worth looking into.

Again, thank you and much thanks to hallux as well!

Apr 25, 2017
Visit site
Well, we did end up going with Voyager Legends, as they were really light weight, comfortable fit, have all the other features needed. We're finding out that voice is very clear and that the noise cancellation is actually surprisingly good. We added the charging cases mostly for the storage/protection, but bonus is the double charge to bump total talk time to 21 hours.

Really, really appreciate both your and hallux's posts and replies! Thank you!

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Glad to be of help.

Have you installed the PLT app on your phones? That will allow you to make some adjustments to the way the headset functions.

Apr 25, 2017
Visit site
Ineed, thank you. We hadn't installed it yet, until your reminder here, but Planatronics Hub is now installed, much better having that access on the device. Thanks!

Apr 25, 2017
Visit site
Question, since you're using this earpiece. When you're on the phone with someone and using the earpiece, but then you get in your vehicle and it automatically jumps to the car, doesn't stay on the earpiece, is there a setting we can't seem to locate, either for the earpiece or on the device, which would stop that from happening and keep the call on the earpiece? Thanks!

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately, I don't have Bluetooth on my car. What I have experienced with trying to connect multiple headsets is that the first one connected holds the connection, it seems a vehicle may take over the connection though, based on what you're saying.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech