HELP! huge mistake upgrading to 2.2

Gizmostank

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Sorry I know that this has been addressed, I have read many threads but none of the answers I have seen so far are satisfactory. I hope that I have simply missed the answer or that people aren't taking the problem seriously because it doesn't seem to impact everyone.

I have the samsung vibrant. SGH-T595

I recently took the steps to upgrade from 2.1 to 2.2. Not because I thought I needed the upgrade, I actually loved my phone before the "upgrade" but because I read here and in other forums about how great it was/is.

At first I thought the problems were just a matter of me needing to get used to them the way I naturally got used to 2.1. Only the problems didn't go away as there doesn't seem to be any work around. I am now DESPERATE for a way back to 2.1 that doesn't void my warranty. I have even considered destroying my phone and paying the $130 deductible for a new one but I cant be sure that the new one wont come with 2.2

Here are my problems.

1st noticed problem. The stay awake function was set before the upgrade but I used to set it on and off depending on my needs at the time. After upgrade the ability to turn it on/off went away and it was stuck in the last stetting which was the always on setting. So now when my phone is plugged into a charger the screen stays on for the entire time it is plugged in and there was nothing I could do about it.

------ this problem was eventually fixed with a 3rd party app

2nd battery life is substantially shorter. I used to plug in once a day after work now I have to plug in twice a day or the battery dies before my work day ends.

3rd. The swype dictionary lost some of its pre-loaded words. Real words that I did not create on my own. I am talking specifically about words like "Manually" and many others. I depend on the swype dictionary to help me spell correctly and therefore had to turn it off and go back to the original dreadful factory touch keyboard.

4th CUT/PASTE was changed for the worse but even worse than that it stopped working completely on the web pages where I want to use it most. Now a long press on the screen sends back only 3 options. Save image, view image, and set as wallpaper. There is no image!! I have tried zooming in, zooming out and long pressing dozens of times in different spots. CUT/PASTE is no longer possible where it used to be on 2.1

5th The phone has taken to infrequent freezes and crashes where it never used to crash or freeze before.

6th The phone is noticeably slower than it used to be, this is switching from app to app but also there is a delay in basic tasks like typing.

7th open browser windows are now limited to 4 where they didnt used to be limited at all.

8th I should have made this one first because it is the most annoying. Gmail and Gtalk no longer update me when someone sends me a message or an email. Gtalk and Gmail used to make up the bulk of what I used my phone for now I hardly even know I have access to it because my phone logs me off of both services and does not refresh gmail or receive gtalk messages after the screen goes blank. I have both set to notify me but neither do.

If I can not fix #8 I will have no choice but to leave Android for a phone with an operating system that does not have that problem. If I am not notified when I get an email or a gtalk message I often miss very important time sensitive information, this cost me money directly.

There are other problems as well, and I may post more if I get responses but this post has run long already. Let me finish by saying that I do not want to Root my phone to fix this problem and I dont believe I should have to. I have paid for a warranty that will be voided if I root the phone. I believe that Google or my cellphone provider should provide an immediate solution that does not void my warranty. It was their mistake offering an "upgrade" without warning owners of my specific phone that it would cause far more problems than any user should be expected to tolerate.

Please help me I can not tolerate this any longer.

Gizmostank

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
No I have not, as I understand it a factory reset leaves me with 2.2 (the very thing that caused all the problems) and wipes out everything I have put on the phone over the last year.

that doesn't sound like a very good bargain to me.

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
2.2 is a good ROM, it's just that your update didn't go well. It happens often with factory updates. I know, been there, did that.

I would highly recommend you follow the AP's advice. He knows these Samsung's quite well.

Gizmostank

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
who is the "ap"

it might be a good rom but I dont see how it could possibly be better than 2.1. The only thing that it does that 2.1 didn't is play gif files from web forums. Other than that 2.1 was far superior, unless every problem I have is unique to me.

as far as I can tell.

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
AP, is "above poster".

I would guess the update didn't install correctly. ie; I took a "pushed" update from HTC, to version 2.21 I believe. Result was a loss of WiFi, tooth, etc.

Searched the forums, and found an issue with Desire's for that specific update from HTC. Result was, I updated to a stock Version 2.29. Problem solved.

Also, if you search, tons of folks have issues after updating from their Providers. Most simply run the update again.

With your GApps, you'll just need to set the notifications again.

With the system crashes, I suspect a bad install on the update. This probably explains sluggish response as well. Remember, with a pushed update from your provider, you get the settings and such, as "They" determine.

Gizmostank

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
okay, thanks. I will give it a try.

all notifications with gmail and gtalk have been set and reset dozens of times. As it is my main problem it has received the bulk of my focus. It simply refuses to notify me the same way it did prior to the update.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
No I have not, as I understand it a factory reset leaves me with 2.2 (the very thing that caused all the problems) and wipes out everything I have put on the phone over the last year.

If you are a heavy Google user (mail, contacts, talk) then you'll get all that back when you reset, even the apps will redownload themselves. Pics and music are on your SD card so you won't lose those. Check your apps as well; most have a backup feature that will backup your data to the SD card so you can import it again. Some automatically back it up. If not, check with the developer to see if it's an option.

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site

It also gives you a clean slate to properly evaluate 2.2. It's standard practice for troubleshooting. You need to reduce the variables involved and your issues could be with apps or settings.

Gizmostank

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
So I did a factory reset which fixed the main problem with Gmail and Gtalk notifications but #2, #4, #6 and #7 are still problems.

also despite backing up my contacts I only got approximately 1/3 of them back after the reset.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34