How secure is fingerprint... really?

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm just curious. Now, I use it on my S8 ( though I use Iris more often). But I always remember my first time using fingerprint security. Back on my Note 4. My wife was trying to use the phone but it was locked with fingerprint. I figured she was not able to get into it ( I wasn't hiding anything BTW, I just watched and asked if she could get into it). Sure enough, the scanner did not recognize her print. I went to kitchen to grab a drink and came back. She was able to access my phone. I was like... how? She said all she did was she kept swiping her thumb over the fingerprint reader (home button) many times and it finally worked after 15 odd tries.

Has anyone else had this? I have not tried this with my S8 or others, but in my Note 4, if you swiped a wrong print enough times it seemed to accept anything.

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
You are lucky the phone didn't wipe itself after so many tries!
It's (finger print) meant to be secure but I've heard about stories like yours before so one wonders. Passwords are the most secure, two step authentication being the absolute best if you really want secure...
For the average person, the print is a good method..

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
On my V20, 5 missed finger scans and it forces you to enter the PIN/password you set as backup. I have heard of a story where a kid used his mom's print while she was sleeping to order a bunch of in game purchases (not sure of the outcome of that case), and law enforcement could force you to use it to sign in. In the U.S., courts have ruled that you can't be forced to give up a password, but biometrics don't seem to have the same legal protections.

Mr Mendelli

Dec 19, 2016
Visit site
I'm just curious. Now, I use it on my S8 ( though I use Iris more often). But I always remember my first time using fingerprint security. Back on my Note 4. My wife was trying to use the phone but it was locked with fingerprint. I figured she was not able to get into it ( I wasn't hiding anything BTW, I just watched and asked if she could get into it). Sure enough, the scanner did not recognize her print. I went to kitchen to grab a drink and came back. She was able to access my phone. I was like... how? She said all she did was she kept swiping her thumb over the fingerprint reader (home button) many times and it finally worked after 15 odd tries.

Has anyone else had this? I have not tried this with my S8 or others, but in my Note 4, if you swiped a wrong print enough times it seemed to accept anything.
So long as you take the extra (and tedious) steps to ensure the best print scan, the data and scanner is pretty damn secure. I've analyzed the files that store the print data from both great, and moderate scans of the same print, and the mapping points are very precise and numerous. Mimmicking the data, or getting randomly "lucky" are extremly slim. In your case however, it seems like your print wasn't clear, or your scanner is losing its luster, but even fingerprints aren't as unique as some may have you believe...

I recommend re-scanning your finger. Clean the scanner and your finger as best you can, then very carefully do the scan.

theelite1x87

Trusted Member
Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
So long as you take the extra (and tedious) steps to ensure the best print scan, the data and scanner is pretty damn secure. I've analyzed the files that store the print data from both great, and moderate scans of the same print, and the mapping points are very precise and numerous. Mimmicking the data, or getting randomly "lucky" are extremly slim. In your case however, it seems like your print wasn't clear, or your scanner is losing its luster, but even fingerprints aren't as unique as some may have you believe...

I recommend re-scanning your finger. Clean the scanner and your finger as best you can, then very carefully do the scan.
It could have also been a function of the Note 4 scanner working by swiping the print versus just touching it. Somehow I think it's a less precise way to scan .

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markizta