[GUIDE] Free VOIP using Google Voice and Groove IP

shell

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm a newbie, so please bear with me here. Would using Google Voice and Groove IP mean that I don't need to activate my new Optimus V with Virgin Mobile? Would I still be able to get email, go online, use the apps like I can do now with my unactivated phone? Beside the free calling in US, could I send and receive text for free? Even the cheapest VM plan is way more minutes than I would ever use, so this could be great for me. Any tips for setting up Google Voice?

Thanks!

Superorb

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm a newbie, so please bear with me here. Would using Google Voice and Groove IP mean that I don't need to activate my new Optimus V with Virgin Mobile? Would I still be able to get email, go online, use the apps like I can do now with my unactivated phone? Beside the free calling in US, could I send and receive text for free? Even the cheapest VM plan is way more minutes than I would ever use, so this could be great for me. Any tips for setting up Google Voice?

Thanks!
If you do not have a service provider you will only be able to make/receive calls when you have a goof wifi connection, otherwise nothing works.

eyefimov

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I just installed the app. I can send and receive calls, the other side can hear me either via the built in speaker or via the bluetooth device that I have. I can hear the other side clearly however, The app crashes after every call received or made as well. I have a tmobile galaxy tab with the Overcome v3.1 Kratos rom installed.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Eugene

eyefimov

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Ok. I figured out what the issue was. I had installed vlingo and then talkback and somehow that trashed the voice input. Once I removed both those apps and then restarted the tab the issues went way.

pfd#AC

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
So to be clear (I am not real tech savy, this is my first smart phone-lg optimus v) I can use just groove ip and I can uninstall sipdriod and google voice callback?

And I can make and recieve free calls over 3g/wifi without using any of my virgin mobile minutes(I'm almost over the 300 threshold)?

Thanks in advance for your help! :p

Superorb

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
So to be clear (I am not real tech savy, this is my first smart phone-lg optimus v) I can use just groove ip and I can uninstall sipdriod and google voice callback?

And I can make and recieve free calls over 3g/wifi without using any of my virgin mobile minutes(I'm almost over the 300 threshold)?

Thanks in advance for your help! :p
Yup. I only have GrooveIP and I can make/receive calls without using minutes. I also only have 300 minutes a month on my Optimus V.

But, there are some caveats. Firstly, it only works well over wifi. Depending on your 3g speeds, you might be able to get away with this, but your speeds must be very fast. Next, you need to always have your 3g/wifi enabled to receive calls. And finally, you need to make sure that data isn't disabled on a call or you'll get disconnected.

BBBay

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
just downloaded, GREAT APP, integrates well with native apps. Also has an exclusion area were I can insert verizon phone numbers or my friends and family. I think I saw an exlusion for prefix which means If I know every prefix for verizon I can add it. It would be great if the app had those prefixes already based on the service you are choosing to use with. One other key feature I would make this a cant live without app

the ability to input the number I'm calling from for the caller ID function

Xopher

Trusted Member
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
I now have this loaded onto my Viewsonic gTablet running Vegan-TAB Gingerbread (7.1 RC1). Since it doesn't have any telephony hardware, it is pretty neat to be able to make and receive calls from it. I think the only (minor) is that since it just has stereo speakers and mic, I always have to switch it to speakerphone once I either place the call, or press the receive button. It would be nice to be able to have it default to speakerphone all the time. I'm still trying to find a way to get it to use a bluetooth headset.

kwhiteandroidctrl

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm having a problem with all my inbound calls being deducted from my mobile phone carrier. And some of my contact numbers I try calling to won't go through at all. It will ring but then when connect it will cut my off. What's up with that?

the2ndflood

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
That works really well. I dont like how you have to manually reconnect the app when you change from WiFi to Mobile and vice-versa, but its not that big of an issue. The app cost more then $2.99 right now, but $4.99 isn't a bad price when you consider that you will not use anymore of your carrier voice minutes when using this app. Plus a one-time cost is better then a monthly cost. So I'm impressed! Just please don't start charging a per-month fee. That would be horrible!

Posted Using My Sprint HTC EVO3D Using Tapatalk -

Last edited:

the2ndflood

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
I'm still digging this app big time, but when I make calls over 3G, a lot of the calls tend to have static. Is there any settings in the app that would help decrease the static? Like how there is settings to fix echos. Or am I just stuck with the static, because its a network speed issue, not the apps problem?

zenpunk

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
So how well does this work with multi-tasking? Can it run silently in the background and notify you of an incoming call? Let's say I'm using mobile Winamp and listening to music and I receive a call...what does it do?

AZbear

Nov 3, 2009
Visit site
So far GIP has been great. However i tried it using my companies Avaya OneX call back system and when I have to enter voice mail passwords or conference call passcodes the 4 key is intercepted by Google Voice and I get a msg stating "This call is being recorded". Hit 4 again and "Recording is now off". seems to happen to a couple other keys as well.

Anyone have this setup?

Thanks

the2ndflood

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone else here have the Talking Caller ID app installed on their phone, along with this app? Does the Talking Caller ID app speak while your making a call using GrooVe IP? Mine does and I don't know how to stop it from happening; besides turning the Talking Caller ID app off altogether.

dennis mcgean

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I have chat enabled - outgoing calls can be made thru G IP - all incoming calls to my cell number go
directly to T-Mob Wifi - only incoming calls using my GV number go to G IP - I think this is just the way
it is - I was hoping there was a way to get the incoming calls to my cell number to go thru G IP too.
Thanks for your reply - I'm not a techie so all input is appreciated.

FlyingBoat

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I have chat enabled - outgoing calls can be made thru G IP - all incoming calls to my cell number go
directly to T-Mob Wifi - only incoming calls using my GV number go to G IP - I think this is just the way
it is - I was hoping there was a way to get the incoming calls to my cell number to go thru G IP too.
Thanks for your reply - I'm not a techie so all input is appreciated.

To do what you want, you could port your cell phone number to Google Voice, then get a different number for your cell phone. That way all calls to your old cell would go through GV. Of course you would want to check with your carrier so you don't get ETF.

Reactions: dennis mcgean

dennis mcgean

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
To do what you want, you could port your cell phone number to Google Voice, then get a different number for your cell phone. That way all calls to your old cell would go through GV. Of course you would want to check with your carrier so you don't get ETF.
We will have to start giving out 2 numbers either way - which is not terrible - we were lucky enough to get
a GV number only one digit different from the cell number so this can work out - I don't want to mess
with the porting issue - it's two numbers both ways so we'll try it out this way - still a useful app -
thanks for your input

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Agentirish