Hi

My wife and I recently moved mobile providers (From EE to Sky Mobile in the UK). It seems as though Sky Mobile don't currently support shortcode SMS. This seems like quite a big oversight as banks also use these to verify transactions.

My wife had to reset her phone yesterday as she was getting a "google play services missing from device" error.

She has 2 step authentication turned on so when she tries to sign in she can't as the Verification code from Google doesn't arrive. She can still get into her account on our Chromebook. Is there a way to get Google to send the verification code via a phone call to the same mobile number? She did fill in the help and answered other security questions but it said that could take upto 5 days for Google to get back to her.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Paul
    06-15-2017 04:39 AM
    Do you have a copy of the backup codes for the account? When I registered for 2FA on my account, I was given 10 backup codes that could be used if I couldn't access Authenticator (the app that generates the rolling codes) for some reason. Those backup codes can be accessed from https://myaccount.google.com
    06-15-2017 09:19 AM
    Unfortunately she doesn't have a copy of the backup codes. It is very frustrating as if she could select to get a phone call (to the same number) rather than the SMS it would be resolved.
    06-16-2017 03:28 AM
    Could you put her SIM card into another phone that is already active just for the purpose of receiving the SMS with the access code, then put it back into her phone?
    06-16-2017 06:23 AM
    She can go on a computer and generate new backup codes, use one to log into the phone, then save the backup codes to Google Drive. Then download the Authenticator app for regular daily use.
    ceepan likes this.
    06-16-2017 06:27 AM
    Could you put her SIM card into another phone that is already active just for the purpose of receiving the SMS with the access code, then put it back into her phone?
    The problem with the SAME is that our mobile provider don't support short code SMS so the verification messages aren't arriving.
    06-17-2017 02:59 AM
    She can't see an option to generate new backup codes. It keeps asking her to enter the verification code sent via SMS when she tries to go into 2 step authentication settings.
    06-17-2017 03:01 AM
    Thanks for your reply. We only discovered that this was issue after the verification SMS didn't come through. Unfortunately my wife can't change the setting to call her until she enters the code from the SMS.

It is very frustrating. Id didn't realise that Google used short code SMS or that Sky Mobile didn't support it. Hopefully Google will get back to us to resolve.
    06-19-2017 05:08 AM