MicroSD card suddenly corrupt. Need help with data recovery.

CommanderHusky

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
Ok so my 32GB microSD card was damaged when I was using the sound recorder on my Galaxy S4. After saving and trying to play the sound, it wouldn't work. The whole thing seemed buggy/glitchy* so I restarted the phone. When the phone booted it said "blank sd card needs formatting bla bla bla" and I couldn't see any of the 600 photos I had on my card. When connecting my phone to a pc the SD card doesn't show up either.

Using a card reader I connected the microSD card to my computer which ended up showing a "Removable drive E:" or so in my computer however nothing about the size of the drive and when I wanted to open it, it said "insert a disk into drive". Disk management showed the size. So I have used about 4 different recovery programs (iCare, Easeus, Minitools and Zar X) which have only recognized the size of the card and not done much to recover any files. iCare has been running for over 12 hours and it still says 0 files/folders found. It says 230 hours left which is about 10 days and I can't leave my pc running nonstop that long. Easeus and Minitools also only recognize the size of the card correctly (about 29GB) but never progress above 0% in their recovery process. Zar X marked the first sector as bad and did not seem to continue with the other sectors. The timer ticked and no increase in percentage etc.

As many others, the data on my microSD card is priceless and this happened before I was able to back up anything. I'm on the verge of giving up and need some advice on what else to try. I really don't wanna mess with the data on the microSD card (like reformating etc.) so that I don't make it difficult for the professionals if I end up having to take it there. Sorry for the light novel I had to write and thanks in advance for all help!

*(glitchy as in the recorder showed the "timeline" and the pause button, but no audio was going off and the timer stayed at 0. It remained as such even when I closed and open the app)

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
You have already done much more than most, you need a professional at this point. SD cards should never be used for anything that is not backed up elsewhere, they fail all the time for absolutely no reason.

Cindyadw

Aug 19, 2017
Visit site
It seems your SD card is write-protected, maybe you can try one of Windows' built-in tools to recover your data. Open the Windows Explorer, then right click on the SD card, choose Properties and the Tools tab. Click on Errors Checking and Windows will scan the errors on cards and try to fix them. Or you can try another tool to figure it out. Hope this can help you recover lost data from SD card.