Unexplained Battery Useage

David B8

Jul 19, 2017
Visit site
Hi - I recently performed a factory reset on my 6 month old Vodafone Smart Ultra 7 and reinstalled a set of identical apps including Doze.

Before the reset my battery would be good for at least 3 days (I don't use the phone a lot!) - now it discharges 50% overnight. I have battery optimization enabled and when looking at the 'use since last full charge' items, none of them are above 5%.

Any suggestions?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Mod note: Moved thread to General help and how to for better visibility.

Welcome to the forums. Can you provide a screenshot of your battery stats, please?

David B8

Jul 19, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for moving thread - sincere apologies - put it down to old age and unfamiliarity!

Hopefully, screenshots attached. please let me know if any more required.

Regards.

Screenshot_20170720-093100.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170720-093134.jpg
    Screenshot_20170720-093134.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20170720-093107.jpg
    Screenshot_20170720-093107.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20170720-093118.jpg
    Screenshot_20170720-093118.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20170720-093143.jpg
    Screenshot_20170720-093143.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20170720-093154.jpg
    Screenshot_20170720-093154.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 9

David B8

Jul 19, 2017
Visit site
I did the reset a couple of days ago as I was having trouble getting my phone to recognize or send contact names rather than just the number even when my phone or the receiving phone had the correct number in their respective contacts list and a post regarding this suggested a factory reset - a little knowledge??? As it transpires the reset didn't help the issue!

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
The reset can sometimes act like getting a new phone. The kernel and software do a lot of communication that can be seen as excessive drain. I would wait a couple more days before getting too concerned.

As for the contacts, did you have them stored locally on the phone or in your Google account?

David B8

Jul 19, 2017
Visit site
Thank you so much for your helpful reply - I'll be patient.

Re the contacts - I'm now not sure - I think I got confused when 'searching' each contact came up twice and so I deleted one and subsequently did the factory reset.

It's useful to have them stored on Google so that the phone updates if I make a change in the Google A/C, but where is best? Kind regards.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thank you so much for your helpful reply - I'll be patient.

Re the contacts - I'm now not sure - I think I got confused when 'searching' each contact came up twice and so I deleted one and subsequently did the factory reset.

It's useful to have them stored on Google so that the phone updates if I make a change in the Google A/C, but where is best? Kind regards.
You can add contact info on desktop. If you do it that way, it should be less confusing. As for your battery life, is that going better?

David B8

Jul 19, 2017
Visit site
Battery life much better as the days progress - you are a genius!

As for the 'not showing contact names only numbers' issue - I use my desktop PC to add/amend my Google contacts which are linked to my phone as it's simpler for an 'oldie' such as myself. Is there any convention for ensuring that, when calling another Android phone you name appears on their phone and visa versa (assuming that both contacts are in their contacts list)?

I have tried everything with no success on both my Smart Ultra 7 and my wife's Motorola Moto G (4th) - any help appreciated!

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Battery life much better as the days progress - you are a genius!

As for the 'not showing contact names only numbers' issue - I use my desktop PC to add/amend my Google contacts which are linked to my phone as it's simpler for an 'oldie' such as myself. Is there any convention for ensuring that, when calling another Android phone you name appears on their phone and visa versa (assuming that both contacts are in their contacts list)?

I have tried everything with no success on both my Smart Ultra 7 and my wife's Motorola Moto G (4th) - any help appreciated!
Again, sorry for the late reply....

My IQ is only a 125....so MENSA isn't exactly beating my door down for me to join...lol.

But seriously, I've been around the Android scene a while and after flashing a good 50 to 75 ROMs for various devices, it all becomes a pattern.

After a reset or update, it's kind of like using a new phone all over again. With updates the kernel most often gets one too. The kernel helps direct software request to hardware, and vice versa. So for example you turn your volume up, either by a physical key or the virtual one, and the volume goes up, there was activity in the kernel. I don't know exactly what happens in the background, but it usually clears up in 3 to 5 days.

As for the contact info....the only thing I can think of is to double check on desktop, and then force a sync to Google. You can do this in Settings>account>Google. If need be, I can show you the path if it were a Pixel. The exact place may differ from yours, but you will get the idea.

Also, for faster responses, you may by all means quote me. That can go for any user. Quoting me will send a notification (technically several) and I will see it. It may be the next morning, but I'll see it.

David B8

Jul 19, 2017
Visit site
You have been most kind, understanding and helpful - my definition of a genius!

Thanks again and I'll persevere with the contacts issue - the battery life is now fine again.

Kind regards - David

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech