annoying ads, games and apps

kevingould

Jul 31, 2017
Visit site
I have a generic gdippo k1001 android tablet running 4.4.2 but I am being bombarded with adverts, games and apps which either self install or crash the tablet.
Is there a free or paid for app that will record what is currently installed and stop anything else from installing or being displayed but must allow updates.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Are you installing all of your apps from the Google Play Store? If you use other sources (especially apk files downloaded from random sites), your risk for adware and malware increases significantly.

I suggest doing a factory reset, and not restoring any data (i.e., start from a clean slate). Then, install apps only from the Play Store. Also, in Settings>Security, make sure Unknown Sources is turned off, to prevent malicious apps from installing other malicious apps.

kevingould

Jul 31, 2017
Visit site
all apps are from the play store. have done a factory reset and security as suggested.

even when typing this I got fighter plane, alarm clock and some TV thing.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Does it happen in Safe Mode as well? On most Android devices, while powered on, press and hold Power until the Power Off menu appears. Press and hold the Power Off selection until the Safe Mode prompt appears. Tap OK.

Since you got a no-name device from China, it's very possible that it came with preinstalled adware that you wouldn't be able to get rid of unless you rooted it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech