I turned off SMS in Messenger and removed the SMS permission from Messenger in Android settings. Yet - Messenger somehow every few weeks manages to take over my SMS and magically grant itself SMS permissions.

I don't have to tell you how evil that is, but how is this even possible? I would not ever answer in the affirmative to give it permissions and I don't skip screens.
    08-09-2017 09:41 AM
    I don't think it is possible honestly. Android makes sure the user has to grant those permissions explicitly. Are you sure you didn't re-enable them by accident?

Otherwise, given Messenger is not too long to set up, what I would do is clear all the app's data which will make it ask to be configured again, including the permissions.
    davidylin likes this.
    08-09-2017 11:19 AM
    That's what I thought as well, but I'm pretty sure I never gave it permission - well, I'll see if I can't find anything.
    08-10-2017 10:27 AM
    It happened again. I disabled SMS in Facebook Messenger and went into Android settings on my Nexus 5x and stripped the app of SMS permissions. Just right now Messenger started showing my SMS messenges in the app. Not less than a few hours ago did I send an SMS using Hangouts like I always do. Messenger has enabled SMS and has permissions. I did not grant these permissions. I didn't even use the phone since the last time I sent a message. What is happening?
    09-13-2017 10:38 PM
    Weird. I got Facebook Messenger and it doesn't take over like thay.
    09-13-2017 11:13 PM