My 2nd LG G4 just died due to a pervasive bootloop issue. I'm hoping to send it in for repairs. But, in the mean time what do you recommend as a good in-between or "burner" phone? I'm caught in between buying a new phone now (I got my eye on the HTC U11) or trying to ford a better deal with something like Black Friday around the corner. Thoughts?
    08-14-2017 08:33 PM
    Have you checked out the new Nokia phones? Also, the Huawei 6X is a nice phone for under $200.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-14-2017 08:39 PM
    Have you checked out the new Nokia phones? Also, the Huawei 6X is a nice phone for under $200.
    I like the thought of a Nokia. I didn't even realize they had re-emerged back in the Android market. Makes me recall my fond days with the Windows Phone devices. Good possibility. Thanks!

Any thoughts as to when the best time is to buy a new phone? Aren't models usually shuffled around fall with discounts?
    Scienceguy Labs likes this.
    08-14-2017 08:57 PM
    I like the thought of a Nokia. I didn't even realize they had re-emerged back in the Android market. Makes me recall my fond days with the Windows Phone devices. Good possibility. Thanks!

Any thoughts as to when the best time is to buy a new phone? Aren't models usually shuffled around fall with discounts?
    What are you willing to spend? How soon do you need a new phone? There are discounts on last year's model when new phones are released or soon-to-be released.

My MXPE was dying, and I couldn't wait to get a new phone, so I bought an LG V20 brand new with warranty and unlocked. The price dropped since the V30 is right around the corner.
    08-14-2017 09:06 PM

No problem. I have fond Nokia WP memories as well. I'm eyeing their new Android models as well. As far as sales go, Laura's right. Last year's models might get a price decrease....most likely will. Good luck with your search.
    08-14-2017 10:03 PM
    What are you willing to spend? How soon do you need a new phone? There are discounts on last year's model when new phones are released or soon-to-be released.

My MXPE was dying, and I couldn't wait to get a new phone, so I bought an LG V20 brand new with warranty and unlocked. The price dropped since the V30 is right around the corner.
    Thanks for the wishes guys. Generally I'm looking to spend under $300. But I'm fairly new to the Android arena. The LG G4 was my first Android. Going through two phones in less than 1 and 1/2 years has been a pretty poor experience. I saw an HTC 10 for under $300, but I've never bought a phone used and am a bit leery since I've seen how quickly legacy Android equipment seems to pop off.

In terms of warranty and legacy equipment any thoughts? Or, is it better to buy a new device (last year's model) in warranty (ie. an HTC 10 direct from HTC.com or comparable vendor)?

*I should probably note that it looks like LG is going to repair/replace my device my device free of charge. My phone is gone, so... I need one ASAP. But the RMA could take up to 2 weeks provided everything goes through. Even then I suspect I'll just be right back where I started last time. I have little faith in LG now.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-14-2017 10:31 PM
    Well, I buy used phones all the time, and I've actually never had a problem with any of them. You just have to pay attention to seller feedback. I only use eBay though. You get decent protection through them as a buyer. If you're needing a phone quickly, though, eBay might not be the best route for you. If you do buy outright from an OEM like HTC, their shipping is usually pretty speedy, so that might work for you. I'd still check out eBay though. A few suggestions: Nexus 6P, Huawei Mate 8 or 9, Nexus 6, ZTE Axon 7, or Nexus 5X.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    08-14-2017 11:14 PM

Deals come all year long, usually around holidays. I used to work for Verizon and Valentine's Day, Mothers and Fathers day, Back to School, Black Friday, and Xmas were the best times to buy phones.
    08-15-2017 03:32 AM
    Honestly the entry level Samsung and LG phones have gotten far better than they were in the past. Anything new with 2Gb RAM and a mid range SOC seems to handle Android well, I just wouldn't touch anything with a snapdragon 400 series chip, they're a bit underwhelming in performance.
    Scienceguy Labs likes this.
    08-15-2017 03:34 AM