Hi i currently own a Droid Incredible (the original) and i am upgrading my phone at the end of this month (May 2011) and I am lost on whether to upgrade to another Android phone or too just buy an iPhone. I'm an average user i will go on Facebook a few times a day. I have had some problems with my incredible, it will often freeze and i will get many messages say an something's crashed like messaging. I barely make it a day without having to recharge my phone. GPS is off, Wifi is off, push notifications are off. I won't even use it and the battery will drain. I've looked at some android phones they are all 4.0 inches plus. I'm just looking for a phone that pocket-able,one that you don't notice or feel in your pocket. I like using android but i don't know if its just my phone but it can often frustrate me. I'm just looking for a good reliable phone.
    05-10-2011 07:27 AM
    At this point, unless you just have to upgrade right away, I would give it some time to see what else comes out soon. Verizon usually has a few good summer phones. Make the decision based off the phone you are most comfortable with when you upgrade.
    05-10-2011 07:44 AM
    It's really impossible to suggest one or the other based on the provided information. If you're interested in the iPhone and can't be bothered to troubleshoot your battery life issues (don't assume that simply switching Android devices will cure your battery life) then you might want to give the iPhone a shot. Don't forget -- you have a period of time to return whatever device so it's not a final decision.
    05-10-2011 07:58 AM
    You are asking this question on an Android Forums? jk. It's all up to preference and what you expect from your phone. Go to a store and play with both OS' or ask a friend to play with their iPhone for a while (who doesn't have a friend without an iPhone?).
    05-10-2011 08:10 AM
    All smartphones have battery issues as they run so many programs that drain the battery.

Probably the big difference between Android and iPhone is the interface. iPhone probably has the simpler interface and those not tech savvy will find it easier to work with. Please also note that you are generally stuck with the main apps that Apple provides like Safari and their email app. You also can not remove the battery or upgrade to a bigger one (though they have 3rd party attachments that provide additional battery life and bulk).

If all you use your current Droid Incredible for is calls, Facebook and some e-mails, you may want to just stay with it as you will not be getting anything ground breaking at this time.

For the issues you are having with your DInc, back up the contents of your apps (notes etc..) and try a reset. This should help you.

Doc
    05-10-2011 10:00 AM
    I know all smart phones have battery life but as someone said earlier there isn't that many options right now on Verizon. The thunderbolts cool but there's no 4G where i live until around 2013. I've been looking at just upgrading to the DInc 2 but just the simplicity of the iPhone draws me in. Plus the iPhone has Netflix. Wehn will Android get Netflix?
    05-11-2011 07:45 AM
    FWIW, I have Netflix on my Evo, but it's not a native app (I use PlayOn).

There's nothing wrong with the simplicity of the iPhone. I lovingly refer to it as a "smartphone for dummies" since it's pretty simple and basic and pretty much perfect for people who just want to do some things like listen to music or check email and Facebook. I have no issues recommending it to people like my parents and "normal" people who just don't want to be bothered with a more "techy" phone.

It does have some drawbacks of course (many of which are a dealbreaker to me), but you say you are an average user who goes on Facebook a few times a day. iPhone would probably suit you well, I imagine. It's when you start wanting more advanced things like wanting Flash or widgets or (God Forbid) more than one email signature for your multiple email accounts or being able to customize stuff that Android looks better and better.

Regardless, they are both good phones, depending on the person's needs. You just need to evaluate what you want in a phone first.
    05-11-2011 08:29 AM
    It's really impossible to suggest one or the other based on the provided information. If you're interested in the iPhone and can't be bothered to troubleshoot your battery life issues (don't assume that simply switching Android devices will cure your battery life) then you might want to give the iPhone a shot. Don't forget -- you have a period of time to return whatever device so it's not a final decision.
    Dude, the person has an issue.

Sure, we all can return a phone based on whatever happens. And based on your comments, I would say you say things only to "pad" your stats, mostly whimsical.

This person has an issue, and we as Android users, have a comittment to solve it.

Original poster; You have a Dinc (droid incredible). And as with any mini computer, it will degrade after time. After all, it is a computer in some sense. Sometimes, we have to clean the system, and install fresh. Although it is based on Linux, sometimes we have to. To clean house.

I think your Dinc is ok, just needs cleaning. But, to make the change to an iPhone,,, well, is blasphemy.

Android is no different. Af
    05-13-2011 06:11 AM
    @K13RAN

I agree with Doc and Moscow - I would try a factory reset first to clear up problems with your DInc.

Make sure you copy all your pic's and videos off the internal memory and save them to your SD card. Also, if SMS is important to you, there are several apps in the market that will backup and restore SMS.

Also, if your contacts are not stored on Gmail, back them up from the people app, under settings -> import/export.

Then in the Settings menu under privacy, there is a system reset option.

Make a list of what apps you use regularly because the market will remember what paid apps you have but not the free one's. (Though I've heard that the web market now saves free apps though I have not looked yet to confirm)

It should take about an hour or so to reset and get everything back to the way you like it. You will most likely find that you have a ton of apps installed that you never use. Skip those. You can always get them again if you do find you need them later.

Frankly, I have an Original DInc as well and there is nothing on VZW I would burn an upgrade on now. The DInc 2 is nice, but not a big enough improvement over the OG to warrant an upgrade.

Wait for the summer or fall to see what comes out. As far as the iPhone goes - wait for the 5 to come out if you decide to go that route.

Oh and Netflix came out in the market yesterday, and the DInc is one of the few rollout phones supported! Yeah mighty DInc!

Good luck. If you have a problem with your reset - throw a post up in the DInc forum. Lots of very knowledgeable folks there.

EDIT: Oh - as far as battery - I've resigned myself to the fact that as a heavy user I will have to get an extended battery for any Smartphone I buy. It's unfortunate but a small OEM battery is one place where the Manufacturer can cut costs. Sad but true.
    05-13-2011 07:14 AM
    Your Droid Incredible is a great phone and as all android phones are, it can be screwed up. As Evil Monkey has said, the yPhone is a smart phone for dummies, apple holds you by the hand, or better yet puts one of those monkey back pack with a leash on you and leads ya around like a kid, yanking ya back just when ya think you've become a big boy.
    Personally If I were you an wanted something pocketable Id get The Dincredible 2. It is the same size as the yPhone but with a faster processor, one that will offer better battery life than your old Dincredible and a newer version of Android OS, wich will offer even more battery life. For tips and tricks on how to better understand your phone, and ways to make it even more useful hang around here more often. We have a great tips and tricks section and our community is friendly and always willing to help!
    05-13-2011 07:26 AM
    Hi i currently own a Droid Incredible (the original) and i am upgrading my phone at the end of this month (May 2011) and I am lost on whether to upgrade to another Android phone or too just buy an iPhone. I'm an average user i will go on Facebook a few times a day. I have had some problems with my incredible, it will often freeze and i will get many messages say an something's crashed like messaging. I barely make it a day without having to recharge my phone. GPS is off, Wifi is off, push notifications are off. I won't even use it and the battery will drain. I've looked at some android phones they are all 4.0 inches plus. I'm just looking for a phone that pocket-able,one that you don't notice or feel in your pocket. I like using android but i don't know if its just my phone but it can often frustrate me. I'm just looking for a good reliable phone.
    The Incredible has never been famous for its battery life. However, leaving GPS on all the time is better than leaving it off since using the radio for location consumes more power, and leaving the GPS on doesn't result in constant drain (it's only used when an app needs location). WiFi uses less battery than the 3G radio, so toggling it on whenever you know you have a WiFi signal will save you some juice. Push notifications are always the better option. In my experience, the number one cause of battery drain on the Dinc is orphaned or unused apps on your phone that updates data online freuently. Check under Accounts & Sync, and see if there are any services syncing online that you never use. Also review your widgets, and adjust how often they update (news tickers and sports scores are the worst).

All that being said... Since you used the term "Upgrade", I'd throw in my 2cents and say that the iPhone 4 on VZW is more of a lateral move than an upgrade. If you're contemplating the iPhone, wait for its next version to be released.
    05-13-2011 08:22 AM
    Your Droid Incredible is a great phone and as all android phones are, it can be screwed up. As Evil Monkey has said, the yPhone is a smart phone for dummies, apple holds you by the hand, or better yet puts one of those monkey back pack with a leash on you and leads ya around like a kid, yanking ya back just when ya think you've become a big boy.
    Personally If I were you an wanted something pocketable Id get The Dincredible 2. It is the same size as the yPhone but with a faster processor, one that will offer better battery life than your old Dincredible and a newer version of Android OS, wich will offer even more battery life. For tips and tricks on how to better understand your phone, and ways to make it even more useful hang around here more often. We have a great tips and tricks section and our community is friendly and always willing to help!
    My sentiments exactly. Dinc is a great phone. Dinc2 is undoubtedly even better, although I prefer the Desire.

Clean that Badboy up!

God bless the iPhone users, as that's the only one who can help.....
    05-13-2011 08:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD