Hi folks,

I recently reset my Galaxy Note 4 (trying to fix my non-working (except with the stylus) menu and back buttons...didn't work). I tried to remember to back up individual app settings and such, but of course I forgot a couple, one of which is "Torque".

I thought Torque was backing up settings to the SD card (which I did not erase), but it wasn't...it was backing up to internal memory.

Anyway, I'm hoping to find a ".dash" file on the phone's internal memory, but I can't find an app that will search for deleted files (other than photos).

I tried connecting the Note 4 to my PC, to use a PC app to scan the internal memory, but that doesn't seem to be possible...because the phone's internal memory dos not show up as a disc.

So...

Anyone know of an app or PC program that will let me scan the internal memory of my Note 4 for "lost" and "deleted" files?

Thanks...
    09-13-2017 02:32 PM
    Short answer is you can't. Even if you could find it you wouldn't be able to unerase it anyway. Its gone, sorry.
    09-13-2017 03:24 PM
    P.J....

Thanks for that.

Question...

How do the "photo recovery" apps work (many also claim to recover, call logs, and all sorts of other items)?

I mean, I understand the basics of file recovery, so what I am wondering is how can those apps recover all those claimed file types, but at the same time could not be designed to find other files?

Thanks...

--

Bill
    09-13-2017 07:22 PM
    You have to root an android device in order to install recovery software. That would normally void any warranty, but even with that if the device has been used after a file was deleted there's a good chance its been overwritten anyway. And you have to realize android is based on unix/linux and works very differently than what most people are used to.
    09-13-2017 07:40 PM
    OK PJ, thanks.

So I'd have to root it to have any chance. I get it now...something about a non-rooted phone that does not allow "rooting around" the storage areas.

Thanks. Got it.

--

Bill
    09-13-2017 07:55 PM