Where to put old photos on SD card so that Google Photos displays them (Nokia 8, Nougat)

Toby Barrett

Sep 14, 2017
Visit site
Hi I'm new to Android. Finally jumped ship from Windows Phone and bought a Nokia 8.

So far quite impressed, I had a Galaxy S3 years ago and never got on with it. The OS is so much better than it was.

One thing is bugging me so far - and probably down to user error. I have a load of old photos on my SD card that I'd like to see on the new phone. I copied them to a PC, formatted the card and copied them back, under a folder called "pictures". The Google Photos app scanned them and categorised them which would be really cool except they don't show up, they are just blank thumbnails. I can view them if I hunt through the folders but not if I just look in the photos app at top level.

I suspect that where or how I put the files on is causing this.

Thanks for any help

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
If they're on the PC then just upload them to Google Photos via the PC. It sounds like your card is set up as removable storage, not as pseudo internal storage. That will likely prevent Photos from being able to treat the content there as native content.

Toby Barrett

Sep 14, 2017
Visit site
Thanks. I sorted it by copying the files to the "Camera" folder on the SD card. Then the OS picked them up, categorised them and showed proper thumbnails.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech