Moving pre-installed apps to SD-card (ROOTED)

wormple12

Sep 28, 2017
Visit site
i'm running a Moto E with android version 5.1 Lollipop, and since updating to this version of android I have had constantly so little space on the internal memory that I can't even update the pre-installed apps even though I have as good as as no other apps installed on the phone as well as zero images, videos, music or any other media files.

Therefore I've spent a few days trying to figure out how I could move the pre-installed apps to my SD-card. So, I've rooted the phone, installed the program called Link2SD and I tried using that program to move the apps. Yet it gave me a warning:

"Failure pkg: /data/app/com.google.android.apps.maps-1/base.apk Failure [INSTALL_FAILED_INVALID_INSTALL_LOCATION]"

Then I found that it seems I also need to create a so-called "second partition" on my SD-card, but I've not yet managed to find a tutorial on the internet that worked for me.

Since then I've tried 6 or 7 other similar programs with no luck, in the process reading somewhere that it actually couldn't even be done on android versions 4.0 or later. Is this true? Could someone be a kind gentleman (or -woman) and guide me through this? That would make me very happy indeed.

EDIT:

In short, my two essential questions seem to be:

1. Is it possible to move pre-installed apps (Google apps mostly) to an SD-card on Moto E with 5.1 Lollipop.

2. And if so, how do I create a second partition on my SD-card for this purpose on Moto E with 5.1 Lollipop.

Thanks in advance

Simon

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
i'm running a Moto E with android version 5.1 Lollipop, and since updating to this version of android I have had constantly so little space on the internal memory that I can't even update the pre-installed apps even though I have as good as as no other apps installed on the phone as well as zero images, videos, music or any other media files.

Therefore I've spent a few days trying to figure out how I could move the pre-installed apps to my SD-card. So, I've rooted the phone, installed the program called Link2SD and I tried using that program to move the apps. Yet it gave me a warning:

"Failure pkg: /data/app/com.google.android.apps.maps-1/base.apk Failure [INSTALL_FAILED_INVALID_INSTALL_LOCATION]"

Then I found that it seems I also need to create a so-called "second partition" on my SD-card, but I've not yet managed to find a tutorial on the internet that worked for me.

Since then I've tried 6 or 7 other similar programs with no luck, in the process reading somewhere that it actually couldn't even be done on android versions 4.0 or later. Is this true? Could someone be a kind gentleman (or -woman) and guide me through this? That would make me very happy indeed.

EDIT:

In short, my two essential questions seem to be:

1. Is it possible to move pre-installed apps (Google apps mostly) to an SD-card on Moto E with 5.1 Lollipop.

2. And if so, how do I create a second partition on my SD-card for this purpose on Moto E with 5.1 Lollipop.

Thanks in advance

Simon

Welcome.

I have an E myself and have always declined the 5.0 update precisely because it is said, by some at least, to occupy more storage.
So far as I know, what you are trying to do cannot be done, but I could be wrong. Would you like me to move the thread to the Moto E forum, which is probably no longer very active, or are you okay with it here?

wormple12

Sep 28, 2017
Visit site
Hi :)

Sadly, I have found it to be very true that the 5.0 update and Moto E is an extremely bad combo because of the phone's low storage space.

If the Moto E forum isn't active anymore, then this post can just as well be here, I guess. Otherwise, you're welcome to move it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12