download direct to SD card?

Jul 29, 2017
Visit site
I often transfer files from my desktop to my mobile through Google Drive. I would like my DLs to go directly to my SD card, but I see no possible options

is it possible?
any help for this?

(do I have to "root" or "unroot" or whatever the F that is?
I'm an experienced user, but do not understand the root thingy)

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Save locations, unfortunately, are app-dependent, and there's no way to set the default download location on the Drive app.

The only way of doing that would be to modify the app to allow that or use a browser that allows SD card downloads and use Drive's website instead.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
"to modify the app to allow that"

and how is that done?

You get someone with the coding skills to modify it (or you, if you know how). Usually some users modify apps/OS and post it for others to use (like modified music players with Spotify, etc.). You should, however, be careful with these as you are basically giving out your Google credentials to an unsanctioned app that's been modified by a 3rd party... so you should REALLY trust that 3rd party.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Hehe... the easiest way would be, then, to use the browser with supported download destination set up and Drive's web interface.

You can also use automation apps like Tasker to automagically move any document created in your Downloads folder to an SD card, but IIRC for newer versions of Android, to move files to SD card you do need root.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance