Seller says that this phone has been reset, and is not linked to any Google account. Looks to be accurate. Phone was Android 4, but has been upgraded to Android 6.

Do you think I should still do a Wipe Cache Partition AND a wipe data/factory reset (hard reset)? Thought I should do this for security / privacy issues, but I imagine the phone would revert back to Android 4, with maybe no way to reinstall Android 6.

Or, since I see no account activity and no files, do you think the phone is OK to use as is and connect to my Google account? Thanks for your help.
    11-11-2017 01:35 AM
    Welcome to Android Central.

I would use it as it is. If it looks like it has be wiped and reset then it most likely has been.
    11-11-2017 03:49 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! Factory resets don't revert the Android version -- it will stay on Marshmallow.

When you first powered it on, did it go through the Setup Wizard? If so, that's where you would've been prompted to log in with your Google account.
    11-11-2017 05:47 PM
    B. This wouldn't be a factory reset; it would be a HARD reset, otherwise known as "wipe data/factory reset." Would THAT kind of reset revert me back to Android 4? Also, if that were true, could I get back to Android 6 by doing Android updates?

Here's the definition I'm using, from AndroidPit:

---------------------
    Factory Reset
    The 'lighter' of the two reset options. It can be done either in settings or via the recovery menu. It wipes all user data and firmware settings but leaves the contents of your internal SD Card intact.

Hard Reset
    Restores a smartphone to its basic factory settings, which erases all applications that were installed by the user as well as all user data. Hard Reset wipes everything including the contents of your internal SD Card. Whatever firmware you last flashed will be the firmware you get back, but everything else will be wiped.

------------------------

Regarding the Setup Wizard. No the phone doesn't start the Setup Wizard when I turn it on - it just goes to the Desktop and shows the primary Google Apps. Is there a way I can enable setup mode?
    11-11-2017 08:17 PM
    Hard reset is a factory reset -- there's no difference between doing a factory reset from the System Settings and doing it from the Recovery menu. No kind of reset will revert the Android version back to the original one the phone came with -- you'd have to replace the motherboard with one that has never been updated.

That AndroidPIT definition doesn't quite make sense to me. A factory reset from the system settings does not leave the data on your internal storage intact -- everything gets wiped. Hopefully they haven't led too many people astray with that.

You're saying that when you received the phone, it never went to the Setup Wizard? That implies that whoever had the phone before you may not have removed their account and done a factory reset (which is always recommended whenever selling a phone). It's important to properly remove the existing Google account prior to the factory reset, because if you don't, then the phone will prompt you for that Google account's password after the factory reset (which is Factory Reset Protection). Go to Settings>Accounts, and look in the Google section. Is your account there, or someone else's?
    11-11-2017 10:05 PM
    Thanks for the info! When I go to Settings>Accounts, and look in the Google section, there is no account there. Sounds like there's no way to tell if FRP is activated besides just trying to add my Google account to the phone.

Regarding the Setup Wizard, it looks like that just helps you set up wifi and add your Google account, both of which I can do fine. But now I'm concerned that it's not enabled when I turn on the phone. Some other questions:

* Should I add my Google account before attempting to insert my SIM chip? I understand the chip can be inserted without turning off the phone - it just re-boots. What's the best setup sequence?

* My main concern is security once I enable my Google account. Is there any reason why I can't factory reset the phone AGAIN before attempting to enable my Google account? I've already done a Wipe Cache Partition. The phone seems to have only the basic Google Apps - nothing suspicious.

* Anything else I need to do before attempting to use the phone normally?
    11-12-2017 12:52 AM
    It doesn't matter if you add your Google account before or after the SIM is inserted. The phone shouldn't even reboot when you insert the SIM -- if it's a valid SIM and the phone supports the carrier's bands, it should just connect.

I would favor doing a factory reset first -- the risk, though, is if the previous owner somehow didn't remove their Google account properly, then you might get stuck with the phone asking you for that previous Google account's password. But sooner or later, you'll probably have to reset the phone to do something, so you may as well get it out of the way. The way you describe it, it does sound like the previous owner did remove their Google account properly, so it's probably not a big deal.
    11-12-2017 01:16 AM
    Just wanted to thank you for helping me get my phone working, B. There's so much wrong and contradictory advice on the Internet! Turned out the phone had the previous account deleted, but must not have been factory reset, since the welcome menu only appeared after I did a factory reset.

Anyway, it's working great now. Thanks again!
    B. Diddy likes this.
    11-13-2017 03:33 PM