I need to unlock an LG Motion 4G phone from MetroPCS. This phone is out of service and has not had service in a number of years. I got it from a friend who got it from her boss who got a new phone and didn't want this any more. I am finally ready to use it.

The information is that MetroPCS requires me to provide phone number of the phone, name on account, the account billing PIN, and the e-mail address linked to the account, and they will send the code to that e-mail address.

That is no good, it was not my account, I don't have access to that information, although I can see the phone number, of course, and with the info left behind I can see the name on the account. So, I will hit a roadblock with MetroPCS.

How can I get the unlock code(s) I need to do this myself -- I don't really want to have to pay some shady operation on the Web no one ever heard of, apparently some as much as about $50 but none less than $10, and hand over the IMEI number to them. I would just like the code and to do it myself, and of course any instructions I might need for this particular model. (This phone does not have the newer Unlock Device app on it, so that approach isn't even possible.)

I note, MetroPCS no longer issues the LG Motion 4G, and I have not seen it listed on any of the phone model lists online for unblocking.

Any help? (This is just BS that these things are ever locked anyway!)
    12-11-2017 10:50 AM
    Unfortunately those are the only routes: the legal way, which of course requires you to provide ALL information from the last registered owner (whether it's been handed down through a party of 50 is irrelevant to the unlocker; they need, and rightfully so, the information from their REGISTERED owner).

If this is such an old phone, an unlock app is probably not there and you will only be able to use a 'hard' unlock code, which, again, can only be provided by the carrier or someone with access to the code algorithm (like the sites that offer such services).
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-11-2017 12:07 PM
    Well, that's kind of what the information I have found so far suggested. However, from what I found, it looked like the unlock code might be the same for all phones of the same model -- if so, someone else might have the code to share. They want your IMEI number when you seek to have it unlocked, which will identify your specific phone, but it appears the actual code is good for all phones of the same model.

For MetroPCS, it looks like I might need both an unlock code and a service provider code.

This is a perfectly good phone, is it to go fill up a landfill just because of this BS about locking phones?
    12-11-2017 12:39 PM
    Just to provide a little more info, I have learned that the unlock code is found by running an algorithm on the IMEI number -- that's why the places charging to do it always ask you for that number. I expect that that means every specific device has a different unlock code, since they all have a different IMEI number; that is, there is not a single unlock code to unlock all LG cell phones.

So, I guess my question now changes to, does anyone know a SAFE and free unlock code generator to use to get the code for this phone? I have seen a couple from a Google search, but they were definitely very questionable, almost certainly would involve malware.
    12-14-2017 04:36 PM