Save big + get 3 months free! Sign up for ExpressVPN today

So after nearly having a heart attack from seeing an ad for Starbucks pop up (when I drove past one!) via my Google Maps even though:

- ALL apps were OFF
    - Location was OFF
    - Wi-Fi was OFF
    - NO background updates allowed
    - NO background processes allowed (as far as I know, but clearly, I'm wrong!)
    - I was on Maximum Battery Saver mode (applies to LG only, I think)

I discovered that I actually DON'T have as much control over my device as I thought I did and so now, I want to make sure that I do - especially over renegade data usage.

And now, I really need some help on how to manage renegade processes and apps. Especially because I'm really trying to minimize stealth/renegade data usage when I don't need it.

This was never a problem on my Windows Phone - if I said no, it respected the 'no', but apparently this isn't the case with Android and it bugs the heck out of me.

I say NO to background processes and data usage and Google processes especially refuse to listen even if they offer the options.

I'm using an LGV30+ and running Android 7.1.2.
    12-17-2017 03:39 AM
    If you had Maps running then Location was not entirely off; how could it be?

Are you certain the ad actually came from Google Maps?
    12-17-2017 06:16 AM

This. If location is off and you try to go into Maps, it'll ask you to turn location services on or it won't work. When it does this, it'll default to high accuracy and won't turn itself off when you exit Maps again. So my guess is that at some point you opened Maps, or another app needing location info, and that turned your location back on. If you need a location based app to run often, I'd suggest leaving location services on but set to battery saving/network only mode.

I've also never seen Maps pop-up an actual advertisement. It will sometimes ask me to review a place it thinks I've been to, but that's not the same thing. So if you can get a screenshot the next time this happens, that may help us figure out what is going on.
    12-17-2017 07:35 AM
    Open settings, select Google, select location. Does it show you sharing location on or off?
    Also, open Maps and sign out.
    12-17-2017 07:50 AM
    And, if when you're finished using Maps, you use the Home button, Maps is still running. Home runs your launcher, it doesn't close the app you're running. If there's no "Quit" or "Exit" in the app's menu (and there isn't for Maps), it keeps running until Android needs the space it's taking and kills it. In Windows, closing an app kills it.
    Tim1954 likes this.
    12-17-2017 12:11 PM

I did not have Maps on and I did not have location on.

This is why I mentioned using Maximum Battery Saver.

It automatically turns off and keeps off location and wi-fi usage and any and every time an app needs to use location, I have to approve it.

@Mooncatt It was a notification from Maps, I'm positive. And it wasn't for a review of the location in question. I've never been there before so it's impossible.

I never explicitly granted any app - Maps included - the ability to automatically turn on location even with Maximum Battery Saver on and I hadn't used any apps that specifically needed it.

Location wasn't on at the time of the notification; I wasn't the driver so I was able to check immediately.

That said, your post gave me my answer. Google is tracking through other apps, even if they're 'off' and cleared out and even if location is off.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...XG9Sej&ampcf=1

@Dano1200r and @Rukbat ,

I signed out of Google, uninstalled app updates, and then redid my Location and privacy settings for any and all related apps.

Next time I use Maps, I'll see if it repeats itself.
    12-18-2017 05:28 AM
    I did not have Maps on and I did not have location on.

This is why I mentioned using Maximum Battery Saver.

It automatically turns off and keeps off location and wi-fi usage and any and every time an app needs to use location, I have to approve it.
    @Mooncatt It was a notification from Maps, I'm positive. And it wasn't for a review of the location in question. I've never been there before so it's impossible.

I never explicitly granted any app - Maps included - the ability to automatically turn on location even with Maximum Battery Saver on and I hadn't used any apps that specifically needed it.

Location wasn't on at the time of the notification; I wasn't the driver so I was able to check immediately.

That said, your post gave me my answer. Google is tracking through other apps, even if they're 'off' and cleared out and even if location is off.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...XG9Sej&ampcf=1
    @Dano1200r and @Rukbat ,

I signed out of Google, uninstalled app updates, and then redid my Location and privacy settings for any and all related apps.

Next time I use Maps, I'll see if it repeats itself.
    I learned something new. Went to Settings, Applications, Play Store, and uncheck the box which says to allow Google to change your settings (the example it gives is blue). I have turned it off.
    12-18-2017 05:41 AM
    I learned something new. Went to Settings, Applications, Play Store, and uncheck the box which says to allow Google to change your settings (the example it gives is blue). I have turned it off.
    Doing that right now myself.

I'm amazed at how many of these settings there are.
    12-18-2017 05:47 AM
    I found Google's own answer, finally.

And yeap, 'helpful' includes ads.
    Attached Thumbnails Maps Scared the %$#@ Out of Me - how do I fight back against renegade apps and processes?-screenshot_2017-12-18-03-51-58.jpg  
    12-18-2017 05:56 AM
    It happens to me all the time. There's one place in particular that I'm asked to review any time I drive by it, despite having never actually stopped there. I know it wasn't your specific issue after all, but something to be aware of in the future.

In either case, I'm glad you hopefully solved this.
    Aithan likes this.
    12-18-2017 08:24 AM
    IMO, worrying about this stuff is a bit like worrying about the germs that are present on every surface you touch and in every breath that you take. You can go around with chlorine-laced wipes all day long and wear a mask over your mouth and nose, but you are still going to be exposed to more than enough germs to eventually do you in, so why bother? Germophobes make me crazy.

And, frankly, Googlephobes aren't much better.

You *will* be assimilated. So, just relax and enjoy the experience.
    Aquila likes this.
    12-18-2017 01:52 PM
    IMO, worrying about this stuff is a bit like worrying about the germs that are present on every surface you touch and in every breath that you take. You can go around with chlorine-laced wipes all day long and wear a mask over your mouth and nose, but you are still going to be exposed to more than enough germs to eventually do you in, so why bother? Germophobes make me crazy.

And, frankly, Googlephobes aren't much better.

You *will* be assimilated. So, just relax and enjoy the experience.
    Google wanting to track my phone's whereabouts is a good thing in a lot of ways. Find My Phone is a really useful feature and I have and have had this feature enabled on different devices. The fact that it remembers my route to work, home, etc., is great, too. I also love it that the Play Store can make some fantastic app suggestions based on my interests.

But suddenly suggesting things out of the blue when an app is closed and when I thought that something like location was temporarily disabled isn't quite the same thing in my opinion.

I throttle my location usage when I don't need it and I don't think I'm unique or a Googlephobe in doing this. It saves data and battery and I don't think I'm unreasonable in wanting some amount of privacy.

That said, battery life on this device even without Battery Saver is great! What hasn't been so great is the spike in data usage and that's the other reason why something like this bothers me as I was hoping to resolve the issue before this month's carrier bill resolves.
    12-18-2017 03:03 PM
    It happens to me all the time. There's one place in particular that I'm asked to review any time I drive by it, despite having never actually stopped there. I know it wasn't your specific issue after all, but something to be aware of in the future.

In either case, I'm glad you hopefully solved this.
    If that's the case, then our situations actually are more same than not after all.

Thanks for the heads up! Now that I know this happens, I won't freak out over it.
    12-18-2017 03:11 PM
    Another thing to try is in Google Maps > Settings > Notifications > People & Places, then toggle off "New and Popular Places" as it relates to updates about new and popular places near you. I'm led to be believe this will turn off the notification ads that pop up when you are near a particular business. I haven't tried it, but it's worth a shot.
    Ry and Aithan like this.
    12-18-2017 06:27 PM
    Another thing to try is in Google Maps > Settings > Notifications > People & Places, then toggle off "New and Popular Places" as it relates to updates about new and popular places near you. I'm led to be believe this will turn off the notification ads that pop up when you are near a particular business. I haven't tried it, but it's worth a shot.
    Done!

Thank you and yes, I think my issue has resolved one way or another!
    12-19-2017 12:12 AM