I am new to this whole rooting thing and I have been reading and watching YouTube video after YouTube video about rooting, what it is, and how to do it. After reading and watching I think I want to root my evo but I'm still nervous because I don't want to mess my phone up. Can anyone tell me the best/easiest way to root my evo. I've been looking at the revoked method, is this a good way?
    05-19-2011 01:33 AM
    unRevoked seems to be the most popular method by far. Wasn't the method I used, but like I said, it seems the most popular.

As for flashing a ROM, make sure you find the correct one for your specific phone. For example, a Desire HD ROM will not work on a Desire.

Also, pay attention to your recovery version. Personally, I update my CW Recovery to the latest version before I flash a ROM. Although you don't have to, it's not a bad idea.

Follow all instructions TO THE LETTER. Read them, re-read them, and read them again. Don't be afraid to ask a noob question before you do something.

Do your recovery backup BEFORE flashing anything. backup your contacts to SD card or another place. Remember, flashing will delete everything in phone memory.

Install Titanium Backup and backup your user apps (downloaded from market) to SD.

After root, (you will know you are rooted when you see a Superuser app in your programs), when you flash your new ROM, Please, boot to recovery and wipe your data caches and Delvik cache if applicable. Then Apply zip from SD (your new rom).

As with which ROM to use, everybody has their favorite. Just browse some forums and see what people are using.

EDIT: As this is your first time, I would stay away from doing multiple or special partitions until you have a bit more experience and knowledgable.

And remember, there is a risk involved every time you flash a rom, but if you follow instructions to the letter, you shouldn't have a problem.

Good Luck!!!
    05-19-2011 07:42 AM