App is updating without box checked for "Allow automatic updating"

cbhouston

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys. I have one app that has been listed twice recently in my notification bar with the message "successfully updated".

I don't want this app to automatically update.

But when I open the Market app, choose My apps from the menu, and select the item for the app in question, I don't see an option displayed for "Allow automatic updating".

I only see Open, Uninstall, My reveiw, My comment, Description, Reviews, etc.

Most other apps have a check box at the top of the Market page for "Allow automatic updating". This app doesn't display that option at all. But the app seems to be automatically updating.

Why do a few apps not have the check box for "Allow automatic updating"?
How can I stop the app from automatically updating, if the option for "Allow automatic updating" isn't displayed?

tgi007

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Allow automatic updating: Not my first choice

... when I open the Market app ... and select the item for the app in question, I don't see an option displayed for "Allow automatic updating".

I've seen this topic discussed in various other message boards and the consensus seems to be that the "Allow automatic updating" checkbox does not always appear. It seems to be related (some theorize) to if the app is running at the moment or not. Some said that when they rebooted their phone, the checkbox reappeared. Others claimed that if you Force Stop the app (using the Settings | Applications | Manage Applications menu), then the checkbox reappears.

I've had the checkbox vanish on me, but never expended enough time experimenting to determine what it was related to. Perhaps this will help.

Reactions: cbhouston

cbhouston

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the reply tgi007. I noticed today that the "Allow automatic updating" checkbox is now missing for the app "Epic Fails Plus". When I went to Settings | Applications | Manage Applications to try the Force Stop you suggested, the button for Force Stop is greyed out. So the app isn't running. I searched several times for any info on this problem, but I didn't find any other discussions about disappearing checkboxes for "Allow automatic updating".

I'll try a re-boot. Strange problem. Can't quite figure this one out.