I currently have 460 contacts on my S8.
    Right now its basically names and numbers.
    I'm using the default Samsung contacts app.

I want to get them all updated with all necessary info such as address, groups, pictures, birthday, notes, email, etc.
    I want everything primarily stored solely on my phone... not on google, not in any cloud.
    Once everything is updated I want to be able to make a full backup to my SDcard and another S8 including pictures.
    With this much editing it would really be much easier to do this on my PC.

Doing it on the Google website would be ok but I don't want that to be my primary storage and I can't figure out how to export my contacts to google without actually moving them from my phones storage. If I simply enable sync on my google account its not sending them there. I have to select the 'move contacts from phone' option but that is then taking them off of my phone and storing on google.... how do I COPY them or sync simply for editing?
    I tested this out with the second phone... I 'moved' the contacts to google... then deleted them from google... still had default storage set to the phone and everything was gone... so its not copying or syncing to google its actually moving them.
    Even if I MOVED them to google then edited I can't see a way to MOVE them back to the phone.
    I want my default storage location to be my phone.
    Good thing I have a second phone to test this with or I'd already be screwed.

What I want to do here shouldn't require any thought... is this this complicated or am I just being stupid and missing something simple?
    01-28-2018 09:07 PM
    On the main screen of the Contacts app, tap Menu and see if there's an Export option. If there is, you should be able to export all of your contacts to a .vcf or .csv file and save that to your computer as a backup.

To edit contacts while they're still on the phone, try using SideSync to edit your contacts using your computer: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e?...token=RSG8LzNK
    DerHof likes this.
    01-28-2018 11:35 PM
    Export no problem... wasn't sure if it would include the contact photo but its there.

The SideSync app is awesome. Just what I was looking for and more, actually.

Thank you much.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    01-29-2018 07:05 AM
    possibly related question...i try to routinely export my contacts to a pdf that i can save on dropbox as a worst case scenario.

when i opened up CONTACTS in GMAIL i saw all of my phone contacts. but there were also tons of email addresses with no numbers including weird yelp addresses and a few blank contacts called "current location". where the heck are these coming from? and how do i make them stop?

thank you!!
    02-25-2018 09:40 AM
    They're coming from apps that save contacts. Most of them can be set to not save contacts, but some of them can't - you let them mess your contacts up or you uninstall them. (Some app "developers" seem to think "If I do it this way, everyone is going to do it this way", and don't give you any options. If they're half-intelligent, asking them to make that an option you can turn off might result in an update, but many "developers" wouldn't know how to do that even if they wanted to. they don't develop apps, they use app-writing-apps to write their apps, and if the app-writing-app doesn't have an option to choose whether to save something as a contact or not, the "developer" can't add one.)
    02-25-2018 12:47 PM
    bummer! thanks for the response.
    02-25-2018 01:58 PM
    Hello, you can see this way to backup and manage your contacts of your Samsung S8 phone.
    Samsung Smart Switch can help you backup the contacts on computer, and use Samsung data assistant tool can also backup the contacts and then manage the contacts, it allows you to edit contacts detail and other options to manage your phone contacts.
    03-01-2018 12:21 AM